Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this poly closed cell foam panels from McMasters and upholstery fasteners. I plan on bonding a few of the plastic fasteners to the inside of the fender well. These hold the foam nicely.

Again I have a pea stone drive way and want to take every precaution to guard against starring
the paint job.

Any ideas on a good bonding agent for the plastic fasteners

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
my guess is the gravel will eat away that foam pretty quick.

i used a paint on pickup truck bed liner and it eats through that.

the only thing i found that works on the outer fender is electrical tape (a little rubbery)

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Pepboys sells a Rubberized spary specifically for wheel wells that I used. Its in the paint section. Worked like a charm.

The bedliner stuff gets hard and it will still drives you crazy.

Just covered the suspenssion and masked the car paint, then did 3 coats of the stuff. I drive on gravel and no sound.

-K

·
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is in addition to the bedliner.The reason I'm going with the upholstery fasteners is that I can replace the foam easy enough. The 1/2" thick foam is pretty substantial. I've heard of guys bonding in scotch brite pads, and figured this is worth a try without the commitment.

·
Junior Charter Member
474 Posts
If those fastners are made from delron there is no "glue" that will touch it. Also saw some floor mating at Lowes the other day. Made for concrete floors in front of the work bench. Looks like it would make heck of a rock guard. Comes in a roll about 30" wide. Just another idea.
Stan

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Kirkham uses some sort of closed-cell foam for their fender liners.

·
Charter Member
199 Posts
Originally posted by Stanley W:
If those fastners are made from delron there is no "glue" that will touch it.
Stan
But may work if the head of the fastener is complete embedded in the glue/epoxy/whatever

There's always contact adhesive & just glue the material directly to the body...?

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
Mike, can you drill through the panel and just push the fastener in from the back? The Foam should hold it in place.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,879 Posts
I thought you would just drill 1/4" holes in the aluminum and push the fasteners through the foam and then into the alum.Since it's closed cell, water won't come through the foam although there would be the chance of it getting behind it from around the edges. But you aren't going to be driving much in the rain are you?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts