Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I got my steering assembly mocked up today. I'm wondering if I did something wrong. I used the steering rack recommended in other posts from Autozone, part number 6406. It looks like I have plenty of adjustment without rod extenders and/or with out trimming any parts.

Question: am I being fooled by the fact that the suspension geometry is all messed up by being in the air? Once I get this thing on the ground am I going to find myself running out of adjustment?

How much effort did you guys put into getting the steering lined up at this stage? I don't care or expect it to be perfect but I would like to at least be able to determine if I have all the correct tie-rod and tie-rod end parts. I thought there was a post somewhere on initial steering setup but I cannot seem to find it even though I have in the past.

Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Try this for lots of info:
go to google and enter the following: site:ffcars.com then what you wish to find, like site:ffcars.com steering set up You can also try things like bumpsteer, SAI mod, ackerman, pinion angle etc. I found this on the forum late in my build and it answered a lot of questions for me. I did not discover it but it is a great source of ideas and info:
HTH
CB

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on what I'm seeing I think I'm just going to leave it alone for now. Since it seems like adjusting the toe in/out is one of the last adjustments made since it doesn't affect caster/camber once they're set. Worse case I guess I can just replace the tie-rods or ends later if I'm lacking major adjustment.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Google custom search box at the bottom of the page is your best friend.

Make sure your rack is centered ....same number of turns left as to right. Do toe later on.

·
FFR Craftsman
684 Posts
Hey Adam, it looks like you are going with power steering. You should use the rack extenders as they put the pivot of the inner tie rod close to the same plane as the pivot for the control arms. This lessens toe change on bumps (bump steer). The problem is, that when you add the extenders, the inner tie rods will probably need to be shortened. Some guys have found shorter outer tie rods that give the same results. As for initial set up, make sure the steering rack is centered and that the wheels look straight. You may want to invest in a Fasttrax gauge to set the caster and camber before making any final toe setting.
Cheers
Bill

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
For an initial setup, just have the lower control arms parallel to the floor, that will be very close.
Yep. I like to adjust the coilovers with a jackstand under the control arms so that the weight is on them. When the LCA is horizontal it will approximate ride height:

From there you can do an initial setup of camber and toe. Adjust the UCA links so that they are equal lengths front and rear to get a rough camber setting, then shorten the rear by 3 or 4 turns and lengthen the front by the same amount to bring in some positive caster. After this adjust the inner tie rods to set toe:

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Jkleiner: That is one very neat idea. I set up strings parallel to the round tubes when I built my Coupe since I was doing an IRS set up by clamping the strings to the body of the car and aligninging with weight on the car, I never thought about clampng the front to the discs. But I might add here that the toe you are mearsuring needs to take into conisederation the diameter of the wheel assembly, a toe of 1/16 or 1/8 measured 4 ft from the center line of the wheel will be much greater ant the centerline.
Neat Idea!!
CB

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
...I might add here that the toe you are mearsuring needs to take into conisederation the diameter of the wheel assembly, a toe of 1/16 or 1/8 measured 4 ft from the center line of the wheel will be much greater ant the centerline.
CB
Hey CB! Agreed. Although it may be misleading in the photo, the tapes for reading toe are set 13" ahead of and 13" behind the rotor centerline, approximating a 26 inch diameter tire, which is what this car got.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sorry to bud in,but thats exactly were i'm at in my build.
Thank's for the tip Jeff,silly question,can you turn the shaft
from the steering rack,or do you pop the tie rod every time
you make an adjustment ?
thanks again, Robert F.

·
6,279 Posts
Sorry to bud in,but thats exactly were i'm at in my build.
Thank's for the tip Jeff,silly question,can you turn the shaft
from the steering rack,or do you pop the tie rod every time
you make an adjustment ?
thanks again, Robert F.
You can turn the inner tie rod without popping the outer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.