Factory Five Racing Forum banner

401 - 405 of 405 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #401
Wow.... what a saga!!!!

Love the new shop and all the fabrication tools of course!
I’m still breaking sheet metal in door jams and clamped angle iron - but I can still make much of what I need...

Now my next project involves breaking 11g stainless about 34” long. Two breaks but I don’t think the door jam’s going to do it. I’m thinking I will wiz-wheel most of the way through it and then TIG welding the cut after I bend it...
Thanks Randy!! I've found for one offs like that it's best to make friends with the local iron shop. A 10 or 20 dollar tip, two minutes of setup and 5 seconds in a 100 ton hydraulic press brake. A task like that, more important who you know than what you know :)

·
18,090 Posts
You have good points there. I just heard of another shop about 15 miles from me where I live now. A shop near my old stomping grounds wanted a $50 “minimum / setup” charge to do any cutting or breaking, then $10 per cut and/or break. My guess is that they really wanted to limit their business to other companies that had greater quantities. This same thing is what drove me to buy my first Mill Lathe machine... While the machine is not that great, it works well enough for my one-off parts...
Sorry to pollute your thread here - please carry on with your fantastic project!!!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
You have good points there. I just heard of another shop about 15 miles from me where I live now. A shop near my old stomping grounds wanted a $50 “minimum / setup” charge to do any cutting or breaking, then $10 per cut and/or break. My guess is that they really wanted to limit their business to other companies that had greater quantities. This same thing is what drove me to buy my first Mill Lathe machine... While the machine is not that great, it works well enough for my one-off parts...
Sorry to pollute your thread here - please carry on with your fantastic project!!!
Not at all pollution!!! If there charging a set-up fee, you're in a vendor customer relationship. My point is one of the most important unseen tools in the shop is strong relationships with other local craftsman. A tip to one of their guys should be all it takes for a few minutes of use of a tool outside their core trade!

·
Registered
934 Posts
In33anity – Hi Ira,

I saw this thread over in ‘Off Topic’ and thought of you.

I hope all is well and I’d really like to hear any updates you might have on your build.

Cheers, Paul. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Has anyone heard from Ira lately? It's been 2 years since he's posted anything, and he didn't respond to an email I sent to (what I believed was) his personal email. I hope he's OK!
Keith HR #894

401 - 405 of 405 Posts