Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 405 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1975, at the tender age of 15, I purchased a 66 Buick Riviera with a 425 nailhead that was wrecked in a head on collision for $75. Spent the next two years, while waiting to get my license, completely rebuilding the car and souping up the drivetrain. Car went super fast, but only in a straight line. When I blew the engine some months after it was on the road, I picked up a '71 Triumph TR-6, 2400 pounds with a straight 6 and dual carbs. I bored and stroked the engine and did a full frame off restoration in my parents garage. Even picked up a commercial sewing machine and learned to sew--stitched the interior and a new convertible top myself. At that time in my life, time was an abundant resource and money was scarce to non-existent. The car was fast and with its IRS and large wheels could handle curves like it was on rails.
The result was that for the next 30 years I had the dream of building a lightweight American Hot Rod body with a European sports cars drivetrain and suspension to get both the performance and look I wanted. Life (career, kids, marriage) intervened and that dream was put on hold. When a few years ago my kids sent me to Skip Barber's formula racing school as a father's day present, really awakened a long dormant itch. About two years ago, when my youngest went away to school (and long-since divorced), started to think I had the time to do this project and began looking in earnest at drivetrains and suspension packages. Before long I was bidding on wrecked 2008 and later BMW M3’s (the year they introduced the S65 V8) as I became convinced that that factory-built hot rod with the engine of the year awards had all the attributes I was looking for—a 9,000 rpm redline, four cams, eight throttle body engine (all oem standard from the factory!), a first rate 6 speed manual, a 3.85 rear, and a 5 link IRS rear in it’s own subframe that would be easy to reinstall as a drop-in—from a car with a published 200 mph topspeed stock from the factory. Wasn’t sure what I’d put it in once I found it, but then came across an article on Bret Voelkel’s Ridetech 33 and the performance he got from his FFR and the idea was complete, a car weighing what my TR6 did, with a modern high tech V8, upgraded european IRS in 33 Hot Rod drag.
Finally found a low mileage (14,000) drivetrain at a suitable price a few weeks ago and cut a deal on a package. Ordered a Stage 1 kit the next day (mid September delivery). Tomorrow the project starts in earnest as I scheduled a full day at the yard (with camera, an assortment of calipers including a homemade 10 footer, a digital angle reader, sharpies and tape) to document the teardown. The package includes (plus the racing seats out of a Porsche Boxster I got them to throw in to the deal) the following:
a. Motor: S65, including
• Engine Wiring Harness
• Headers
• Mounts
• Water Pump
• Starter
• All other items attached to motor (except for A/C compressor as going without)
b. Transmission: 6 speed manual, including
• X-member
• Mounts
• Harness
• Linkage
c. Shift Assembly, including linkage
d. Pedal Assembly (and Drive by Wire Harness and Hydraulic clutch linkages)
e. Alternator
f. Power Steering Pump
g. Steering Rack
h. Catalytic Converters
i. Battery
j. Driveshaft, each of the two shafts, including
• Mounts
• Center cradle between the shafts
• joints
k. Rear End (60.5 track)
• Subframe
• Brake Caliper to Caliper complete

Horsetraded the ECU and A/C compressor as will go without A/C and since the S65 is notorious for not being able to overcome the antitheft device built into the stock ECU, motor will run on a stand-alone engine wiring kit that’s a plug in to the stock engine harness and runs on a Pectel SQ-6 processor built by Cosworth. If anyone thinks there is something else I should grab from the donor, let me know as tomorrow would be the day!!!!

The motor, transmission and rear, as well as the 33 chassis go straight to my buddy’s body shop 100 miles away as he promised I can come in on weekends this fall to fabricate the chassis mods to get the motor and trans mounted and the rear end installed, so I can take it home as a roller.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
enjoy the ride

Glad to see you started a build page, it will be fun to watch your progress.

My brother has an M3 and they are fun to drive.
Dale
Hemi33

·
33 HR #664
424 Posts
This makes my build seem boring. Sounds amazing, Keep us updated. I am subscribing to this thread.

Brent

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brent,
I've been thru your full thread several times. Can't believe thebpace of your progress. Looks really cool. Subscribing to you too. -- i

·
Registered
437 Posts
Going to be interesting seeing this all cleaned, painted, coated, polished and or chromed. Good luck, looking forward to following your build.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jack,
Been following yours for several months now, have read it all the way through at least five or six times in deciding to actually do this!!!! Great build, and I'm very interested in what you're doing too!!! --i

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The guy at the yard I've been dealing with has been telling me that I am making a huge mistake not taking the optional Gintani rear pipes and mufflers that look like new and were installed on the car. Seemed like a lot of money for just the mufflers to me, but he kept telling me it belonged with this engine on a hot rod so bad he'd sell to me for half of what they sell this on ebay for regularly (and I went and checked)---He also told me he was not listing them for a few days because he was confident I'm going to change my mind.

Then he sent me this link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peukItqiJT8)to a youtube video posted by Gintani as to how the same exact M3 with the exact same x-pipe and mufflers (he was trying to sell me) sounds.

I'm hooked (!!!), and after a little more horsetrading of stuff I dont need that came on the drivetrain and throwing in some other bits I could use, we settled on a price and I am now the proud owner of the Gintani E9x exhaust! Hope I can make it fit!!!!!!!!!!

·
33 HR #664
424 Posts
That is so cool, sounds like a race car. This is going to be one sick 33. Please keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked up a used set of HRE CHROME 547R wheels and tires from a Lamborghini Diablo, surprisingly good price, fit and just the size, look and performance I was after.

Rear: 19 X 13 with Pirelli 335/25/ZR19
• Tire Dimension: 25.6 X 13.2
• Offset: et23
• Backspace: 7.51
• Center Bore: 70.0mm (BMW spindles 72mm, need center bore to be bored 2mm)
• Lug Pattern: 5 X 120 (BMW spindles 5 X 120)

Front: 18 X 8.5 with Pirelli 235/35/ZR18
• Tire Dimension: 24.5 X 9.3
• Offset: et56
• Backspace: 6.86”
• Center Bore: 70.0mm (FF spindles 2.75” = 69.85mm)
• Lug Pattern: 5 X 120 (FF spindles 5 X114.3, need adapter)

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Picked up a used set of HRE CHROME 547R wheels and tires from a Lamborghini Diablo, surprisingly good price, fit and just the size, look and performance I was after.

Rear: 19 X 13 with Pirelli 335/25/ZR19
• Tire Dimension: 25.6 X 13.2
• Offset: et23
• Backspace: 7.51
• Center Bore: 70.0mm (BMW spindles 72mm, need center bore to be bored 2mm)
• Lug Pattern: 5 X 120 (BMW spindles 5 X 120)

Front: 18 X 8.5 with Pirelli 235/35/ZR18
• Tire Dimension: 24.5 X 9.3
• Offset: et56
• Backspace: 6.86”
• Center Bore: 70.0mm (FF spindles 2.75” = 69.85mm)
• Lug Pattern: 5 X 120 (FF spindles 5 X114.3, need adapter)
Sweet! Those rears are monsters, will be a nice look!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Props to you for using a donor atypical of this type of build. I am a BMW fanatic as well as a lifelong hot rodder and wish you luck on this build. Subscribed for certain.

·
Registered
724 Posts
looks interesting.I did a complete corvette c-6 in a 33 non FF. Torque tube 6 speed auto transaxle and all. Inner fenders might be an issue or will be an issue as the transaxle goes through it. Also make sure your wheel studs are long enough for the adapter.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Looking again: You dont have wheel studs, even better. On my rear transaxle I used the stock lower cradel mounts and made the top mounts coming off the frame for the upper arms. A lot of work in the trunk area but not real hard, just time consuming which is fine. I made a screw jack lift that grabbed the whole frame so it was off the suspension and I could raise it up and down so I could fabricate all the frame mounts etc.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Really looking forward to following this build, thanks for sharing.

My only negative comment is: your pics are too small! :w00t:
Can you post larger pics? (please)

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been busy getting the garage (detached two and a half car) ready. Doing the build at my beach house so generally only here on weekends and all this week! Two weeks ago (last Sat drove 900 miles round trip to drop my son at school), popped a hole into the standing room garage attic I was never in, cleaned and painted, built stairs and put in 48 feet of 16' melomine shelves--instant supply room. Last four days, 15 hours a day insulating and sheetrocking the garage (despite 35 years, I remember too well what it was like determined to have a car built by the time I got my license, but being unable to move my fingers--not doing that again!!!), putting in flourescent lighting, painting w/ epoxy the floor and precutting the pieces to a workbench to put together when the paint cures.

Tmrw I'm supposed to meet up with Neel Vasavada of Apex Speed Technology who's in from Cal, and who's building the standalone engine controls for me based on a Pectel SQ6, Cosworth's racing ECU. Most importantly, Neel seems to be the only person to have successfully swapped the S65 and provides the electronics for a number of the top race teams.

So been a little behind in catching up.

Mactzer, Thanks, it was those monster rears and the fact that Lambo runs 19X13 and 18X8.5 that had me looking at their wheels in first place.

Kaelen, TMoore and MP, thanks much! MP, I keep trying to load bigger pics and keeps getting rejected unless I decrease the number of pixels. I'm sure I'm not doing it right, looked for a how to thread certain I'd find one, but to no avail. What's the trick?

Glenn, that sounds pretty cool. I think my rear is going to be ok. The M3 is a traditional rear, not a transaxle. I must admit, in planning the build, I kept toying with the idea of using an inverted Porsche 911 Turbo transaxle (actually cheaper than the BMW Trans and Differential) to get more weight over the rear wheels - - even did an ebay price check as recently as last week as the idea really does appeal to me. Ultimately decided the BMW works as a factory designed package and this build will be hard enough without biting off more than I could chew (maybe next build :)). One thing I knew was the engine I wanted as love super high revvers and this one redlines at 9,000 rpm. The BMW rear (one of those tiny pics I posted) should be pretty easy. It's a compete 5-link IRS Unit, all mounted w/ the differential on a very compact K-frame. The track is just .3 inches wider than the Mustang/FF combo, it's about 3" shorter top to bottom than the space needed for the FF std or the FF IRS, and front to back is abt the same as the FF IRS. Whole thing bolts in with four screws through bushings. Plan is to fabricate a cradle at the back of the frame with the four attachment points -- and bolt the thing right in. Only diff from stock is will run a pair of ridetech coilovers in lieu of the McPherson Strut/Spring package and putting the anti-sway bar in the back of the closet for now (oh yeah, and powder coating)!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Bigger photos

Try putting your photos in "photo bucket, copying the url info to a thread/post in this forum and do a preview before posting. You can try the different ways to do this with in photo bucket. I am sure you will get acceptable size photos and not thumbnails. Post your results so we all will know how you did.

·
33 HR #664
424 Posts
Try putting your photos in "photo bucket, copying the url info to a thread/post in this forum and do a preview before posting. You can try the different ways to do this with in photo bucket. I am sure you will get acceptable size photos and not thumbnails. Post your results so we all will know how you did.
Thats what I do, uploads automatic from my phone too so they are always online, just go to your photobucket page, click a button to copy the link and paste in the forum. Super easy.

This will be one very unique build, thanks for the updates, very cool.

1 - 20 of 405 Posts