Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done front suspension and F panels, firewall and passenger footbox. I am waiting on backordered 3 link items. What other aluminum can be done while I wait for parts? I have not run brake/fuel lines so I still need access. Thanks,
Doug

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
do the rest with clecos only...at least you'll have'm all drilled

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,324 Posts
I'm fitting cockpit, floors passenger/driver foot boxes, trunk area then removing it. That's what some of the pro builders do. The initial fit is the hard part silicone and rivets are easy. You will find that the rear of the cockpit upper and lower behind the seats is a bear. Get a pair of Irwin flange pliers (vice grips). I believe you are correct with f-panels, PS foot box and fire wall. Some leave out the f-panels as well. I believe you need to install the front of the drivers foot box as well.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I'd add only the driver's footbox to what you've done, but leave the top two pieces off for now. Drill everything else, and cleco, as others have said. When you are ready to permanently mount the back cockpit wall, make sure you've already put in the upper trunk floor. It's a bear to put in if the rear cockpit wall is in place. Very hard to get the rivet gun on the uppermost rivets in the trunk. Avoid the temptation of putting the floors in permanently; you'll want access for ebrake, fuel and brake line install. Don't permanently install any panels until absolutely necessary. You'll be glad you waited.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
If useing clecos may as well drill and fit trunk alum and floors. Some use the self tapping screws if not having the clegos. Want to back up what was said about the rear cockpit alum and trunk floor.Drill the floor before installing rear cockpit alum. If not you won't have room to drill the rivet holes. 3 link is so much easyer to install with no alum back there.Same with tranny tunnel no alum till end.

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
DFRESH,

My backordered three link parts were shipped out yesterday, all but the lower control arms without the perch. :mad: But they said that they have the control arms in, they just need to assemble them. Hoping to see them by the end of next week. In the meantime, just keep fitting panels, cleaning parts, and/or running fuel and brake lines

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
If you get tired of panel work, you can start on the pedals, master cylinder, fuse panel mounting arrangement, front brake lines and rear lines back to the flex line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts