Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm tempted to try this brake setup and I can't see any reason not to.

Booster is 7inch dia. and Chrome
Master is 1" bore and 3/8" outlets.
input rod for the booster is threaded and long
Booster is a low profile so I'm anticipating it not contacting the upper 1" square tube.

I will move the steering rod and do the booster mod so fitting shouldn't be a big deal.

Here is the info:

7 InchChrome Street Rod Booster with Master Cylinder
MANU: Southern Rods
SKU: 7001C-11749
Price: $ 199.95

7 inch Street Rod Booster. chrome plated , all new not rebuilt, with threaded rod.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

R :D

·
2,332 Posts
Randy,

You should contact Bob (the deer hunter) from our club. I know he has power brakes and during a conversation with him he said that even the 7" booster would require mods to the square tubing. His car is a MK I, so i don't know what the changes have been made to the MKIII in terms of that portion of tubing. I can send you some contact info if you need it. HTH.

-SGC

·
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shawn,

Yep, I'm planning on the booster mod so that's not a concern.

Thanks for the tip though! I know Bob is running the GN setup now which is what I'm going to be pulling out because of a leaky pump.

BTW, One of these days, I'll have to get that GMRS radio back from ya. :D

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Randy, that will look very nice... looks like there's even room to put Ford stickers on it... :D

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Randy
That setup will work fine...you already know about the frame mod , but you may have to section the 3/4" cross member just below the pedal box...
The problem is the slightly extra length you may need to make the booster a close fit to the front of the footbox ....It's no big deal , I took about a two inch section out of the 3/4 frame in the foot box , and capped the exposed ends....
This will not seriously affect the strength of the car...(If it makes you nervous , just weld a piece onto the rear side of the frame member.)
If you don't section the frame , you may have a problem with the brakelight switch staying engaged.
I used a 7 1/8th inch booster (Toyota Tercel).

·
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Barry,

I'll get one in here and see how it looks. I assume the bore size and booster power should be a good match but looking for comments to substantiate that.

I know just what you mean about the cross tube and will pay attention to that during the install.

Ken, only Ferd stickers that have the logo with a red circle and a line through it. :D

·
2,332 Posts
Sorry about that Randy, I thought you were plannign to try installing it without the mod. Re-read post and figured that one out. I have seen that booster used on many street rods and am currently using a similar version on the '33 Zipper I am putting together. They are nice peices, especially for the price.

The radio is sitting on my kitchen counter and I catch a glance of it every once in a while and think to myself, I should call him! What do you think of a WNYFFROG Christmas party, maybe between Christmas and New Years?

-SGC

·
FFCobra Craftsman
732 Posts

·
131 Posts
Randy:
Sounds like another go round in the works on the power brakes. Can you get parts to repair the GN setup? Would you like my power bleeder for the winter?

·
6,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rick,

Yeah, the saga continues! I decided to pull the GN setup for a vacuum setup. Then, I realized that my new engine won't make near enough vacuum to run it. Now, I've pretty much decided on the dual MC setup that Forte's has.

...and Shawn Carter has me interested in the 13" Cobra front brake option (for cheap, he says)

Thanks for the offer on the bleeder... I'll just wait to borrow it again. That way, I can borrow you too! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts