Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 347 home from my engine builder. I had just placed the intake on the engine to check clearances. I had a handful of intake bolts and washers for the intake and I dropped a washer in the coolant passage in the head. Now what to do? Do I just leave it since it's in the coolant passage?

Mark

·
FFCobra Fanatic
430 Posts
Turn the engine upside down assuming there's no oil in the engine and assuming the engine is on a stand still! Use a magnet to get it out. Good luck.

JIm

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Maybe fire up the air compressor and blow compressed air in another port to push it out. Another option, if it's on the engine stand, is to rotate the engine upside down and it should fall out, but don't do this if you have oil in the pan!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
Nah - you're not a candidate for a Darwin award. To do that you'd have to try and hold the transmission output shaft still by wrapping your legs around it while a buddy kicks the engine over.... :D

You just made a simple mistake. I would say it does have to come out, though, as it might block a passage and limit your cooling ability.

-SB

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Naahhhh, Darwin awards candidates always say something like, "Hey, ya'll watch this!" just before they do something that should kill them but sometimes doesn't. ;)

Bob

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
Originally posted by BS:
Naahhhh, Darwin awards candidates always say something like, "Hey, ya'll watch this!" just before they do something that should kill them but sometimes doesn't. ;)

Bob
...or sometimes it does kill them :)

They have some doozies at DarwinAwards.com :D

- SB

·
Registered
588 Posts
do not leave it in the passage. I never thought of the air compressor thing. either the magnet or the air compressor trick will work. Maybe need to to both.

When taking the Alternator out of the donor car last month the plastic clip thats holds the connector on broke and fell off into the alt. tired to get it out to no avail. :eek: Came back 2 days later, I picked up the alternator and turned it over and the plastic clip fell right out!!! Thought I'd have to take it apart. Crap happens.

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
Mark,

I dont have any advice for you, but dont feel so bad or at least dont think you are the only one that this has happened to. A few years ago while working on a buddies engine he dropped a small bolt and we just heard a clanking sound and then the bolt dissappeared. Did it go in the engine or on the ground? We searched and searched but could never find it. We figured it bounced away somewhere and crossed our fingers. The engine fired up and ran fine at first, so we figured we were safe. A few thousand miles later it blew.

At least we can laugh about it now--"the master mechanics" that we are.

Good luck.

Tom

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
If you turn the motor over, make sure you turn it in such a way that you don't make matters worse. In some cases flipping it one way may thread the piece in your motor further along and flipping it the correct way may cause it to fall out of the hole it fell in.

After you solve this problem, stuff rags in all orifices while you are assembling the motor. Just don't forget to remove them before closing up the motor. HTH,

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
Steal one of you wifes old panty hose and use it to cover the end of the longest shop vac attachment you have. If you can't just vac it out, try some compressed air on one side and the vac on the other. The panty hose will stop the washer and you will visibly be able to see it came out as opposed to blowing something to the other side of the shop and wondering did I get it or not. HTH, Cheers Richard.

PS If anyone who ever dropped a washer or bolt into an engine was a darwin winner we would all have one.

·
Living Large
1,871 Posts
I once dropped a washer down the intake side of the cylinder head on my vette (I had the intake manifold off as I was changing the cam) after a few sweaty minutes with a flexible magnet I managed to pluck it from it's precarious perch on the intake valve... only to have it hit the side of the port and roll back in.... past the open valve into the cylinder... Ugh! In no way was I prepared to yank the cylinder head off the drivers side of a fully loaded 96 Grand Sport Vette for one puny washer. My thought was if it went in, it'll come out. I grabbed my shop vac and a roll of duct tape and jammed the shop vac's nozzle into the intake port and taped it tight around the nozzle (ala Apollo 13) and pulled the spark plug and stuck my air chuck in the cylinder and turned on the vacuum while injecting air into the cylinder to make a vortex or at least try and get the washer to fling around. A few minutes later voila, the sound of that washer clinking inside my shop vac was music to my ears...

Now the time I was changing a frost plug outside in the snow and slush (when my trouble light fell into to puddle that formed from my body heat/leaking coolant) and electrocuted myself before the jolt caused me to raise my head up and concuss myself by hitting my head on the frame... that qualifies for a Darwin...
If it went in, it'll come out.
Trent

·
8,350 Posts
Hopefully, you have not moved/rotated the engine; like the 1st response said....magnet - now, this won't be easy, but get one on a "spring" lead so you can push it down to wherew the washer fell and then be able to retrieve it back.

If not, then join the club of those of us that now know how to strip down an engine. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts