Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought maybe I would start a current thread that will hopefully walk people through reg their car in Illinois. At the minimum it will show my experience mistakes and lessons learned. Maybe a time frame.

I am not ready for this but I do plan on a title, liscence and registration some time this year hopefully late spring early summer. (Without body and paint done it will be in gelcoat)

I figure I could gather much of the info and get a handle on the process. So when I'm ready it will not take so long.

I called the DMV and the lady gave me a phone number for the division that handles it.

1. Call this number 1-217-558-2406 there is person not a computer.

The lady said that the process will take awhile.

She takes your information and will send you a packet that will give you the information you should need.

FYI one of my questions was Does it tell you the min required on the car to register it. She said yes. That info alone is worth getting the packet early on in the build process.

She said Once I fill out the packet gather all the information and feel the car is ready. She will send it for preliminary review.

If the inspector or whoever's feels your ready will then come out to the house and inspect your vehicle.

After that 6 to 8 weeks for the process to be completed.

For now

1. Call 1 217-558-2406
2. Wait for the packet

I will share what info I get as I go along. Especially legal component requirements and laws you may have to follow. Maybe the pros and cons of options for registration like 1965 vs 2020. Tax info ect too.

For now I wait.

Jason

·
Not a waxer
11,879 Posts
I've had a few Illinois customers who have gone through and completed the process. If you'd like to speak with one or two to get their take on how it REALLY went and what to expect from the owner's perspective I can put you in touch.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had a few Illinois customers who have gone through and completed the process. If you'd like to speak with one or two to get their take on how it REALLY went and what to expect from the owner's perspective I can put you in touch.

Jeff
Forsure. You know I take in as much as possible.

Thank you

Jason

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went through the Illinois registration, inspection and license last year in September. I'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
From my experience Feb 2018

Things I learned:
Title application has to match the receipts (Manufacturer is Factory Five, Model is Roadster, Year is 1965)
Supply Serial number & bill of sale for engine, trans and chassis
Proof of tax payment for engine, trans, and kit (Hopefully you paid it in the year of purchase. If not, eventually you will have to pay interest on late payment, plus fine for late filling, plus fine for late payment, guess how I know).
You can apply for plates on the title form.
If your forms are not complete or have a problem, you will hear in a couple of weeks.

My Timeframe:
Sent in forms
2-3 weeks later, got them back with note requesting engine sn#
Called downstate, explained that 90's 351 blocks don't have sn# only casting number, was told to put that on the title app.
Sent in forms again
4 weeks later, called again to ask about inspection, was told that forms were just forward to local Sec of State Police office and to wait for call from inspector.
3 weeks later, called again for update, was told to wait a few more weeks
3 weeks later, called again and asked if there was a way to contact the correct person at Sec of State Police office. The person I talked to agreed it seemed to be taking too long and gave me the inspectors name and number. Called inspector and left message.
1 week later, called again and inspector answered, said he just got back from vacation and was just going through his messages. Arranged inspector for following week.
1 week later, Inspector arrives, glances at car, says he usually put the VIN plate on the frame by drivers side door, mounts plate, gives me temp plate, leaves after 10 minutes, never inspected anything.
5 minutes later, going for first legal drive.

Misc Observations:
It took me 3 months from start to finish, some was because of forms being returned, some bad timing with inspectors vacation. I have heard others going through the whole process in about 6 weeks.
Everyone I talked to was nice, polite, and helpful.
When I talked to others that had gone thought the process prior to me (so pre 2018), I was told about thorough inspections checking lights, wipers, brakes, horns, front license plate mount, etc. Mine was really just a VIN plate mounting, and others have remarked recently about it being much simpler than it used to be.
The same with paint, these days they are willing to title a car in just gelcoat, previously the car had to be in a finished (painted) state to title.
You will be titled at 1965, since it resembles a 1965 car. (so no emissions standards or newer safety standards required)
The car qualifies for Antique or Extended Antique plates (that allows you to drive with any 1965 plate)

Impatiently waiting for spring

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went through the Illinois registration, inspection and license last year in September. I'd be happy to help.
I will take any advise I can get. I will pm or if you want to offer advise I will take it.

Thank you

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From my experience Feb 2018

Things I learned:
Title application has to match the receipts (Manufacturer is Factory Five, Model is Roadster, Year is 1965)
Supply Serial number & bill of sale for engine, trans and chassis
Proof of tax payment for engine, trans, and kit (Hopefully you paid it in the year of purchase. If not, eventually you will have to pay interest on late payment, plus fine for late filling, plus fine for late payment, guess how I know).
You can apply for plates on the title form.
If your forms are not complete or have a problem, you will hear in a couple of weeks.

My Timeframe:
Sent in forms
2-3 weeks later, got them back with note requesting engine sn#
Called downstate, explained that 90's 351 blocks don't have sn# only casting number, was told to put that on the title app.
Sent in forms again
4 weeks later, called again to ask about inspection, was told that forms were just forward to local Sec of State Police office and to wait for call from inspector.
3 weeks later, called again for update, was told to wait a few more weeks
3 weeks later, called again and asked if there was a way to contact the correct person at Sec of State Police office. The person I talked to agreed it seemed to be taking too long and gave me the inspectors name and number. Called inspector and left message.
1 week later, called again and inspector answered, said he just got back from vacation and was just going through his messages. Arranged inspector for following week.
1 week later, Inspector arrives, glances at car, says he usually put the VIN plate on the frame by drivers side door, mounts plate, gives me temp plate, leaves after 10 minutes, never inspected anything.
5 minutes later, going for first legal drive.

Misc Observations:
It took me 3 months from start to finish, some was because of forms being returned, some bad timing with inspectors vacation. I have heard others going through the whole process in about 6 weeks.
Everyone I talked to was nice, polite, and helpful.
When I talked to others that had gone thought the process prior to me (so pre 2018), I was told about thorough inspections checking lights, wipers, brakes, horns, front license plate mount, etc. Mine was really just a VIN plate mounting, and others have remarked recently about it being much simpler than it used to be.
The same with paint, these days they are willing to title a car in just gelcoat, previously the car had to be in a finished (painted) state to title.
You will be titled at 1965, since it resembles a 1965 car. (so no emissions standards or newer safety standards required)
The car qualifies for Antique or Extended Antique plates (that allows you to drive with any 1965 plate)

Impatiently waiting for spring
Thank you for the info. Very helpful!!

I will sort through this stuff and when I get the initial packet I'm sure I will have questions.

Thank you
Jason

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alig2

What is a couple pros and cons of the different liscence plates?

I live about 5 miles from work and the parking lots fenced and happens to be armed guarded lol. Anyways it allows me to drive it I feel more often then normal. (If it's nice I plan on driving it).

Of course the weekend drives with the kiddos for icecream too!

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like I should start the process as soon as I get the paper work. If it goes quickly and im not ready well I will deal with that if it happens. If it takes 3 mo well I might as well start sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engine will be interesting. I hand built that from the block (88) up. Hmmmmm

The trans I got from Forte no problems. Both were bought and or built before the kit the year before.

I have all the FFR info. And most of the receipts probably all

Jason

·
Registered
45 Posts
Passenger car plates are $151 a year
Antique are $30 for a 5 year period, car is restricted "only in going to and returning from antique car shows or exhibitions, for servicing, or for a demonstration " (No general driving)
Expanded Antique is $51 a year, from April to October can be driven without restrictions, November to March has some restrictions as standard antique (Basically the standard Cobra driving season)

What I like is IL Statute 625 " Historical License Plates, representing the model year, may be displayed on an antique vehicle; however, current Antique Vehicle/Motorcycle plates and registration ID card must be kept in the vehicle at all times".

So I have Expanded Antique plates in the trunk with a 1965 CA plate on the car. (gives me unrestricted use when I need it at a substantial cost savings)
If you go to any car shows, it is pretty common.

I got my block from a legit source so had a receipt, but could not provide an SN as it had none, I just put the casting number on the application with a notation that 351W blocks had no SN.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts