Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried doing a search for ignition systems, but didn't come up with much.
any recs on an ignition system for a 289 SBF with a FiTech 600HP EFI?
I was looking at MSD but some recent threads are pretty negative about it.
Just interested in hearing others' opinions.

·
Not a waxer
11,553 Posts
Whatever you end up using make absolutely certain that the distributor gear is compatible with the camshaft material. You can waste an engine in short order if they aren't. What kind of cam is it (i.e. flat or roller)?

Jeff

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whatever you end up using make absolutely certain that the distributor gear is compatible with the camshaft material. You can waste an engine in short order if they aren't. What kind of cam is it (i.e. flat or roller)?

Jeff
hydraulic cam

·
Not a waxer
11,553 Posts
hydraulic cam
But is it a hydraulic roller or hydraulic flat tappet? Rollers are steel and will eat a cast distributor gear; flat cams are often, but not always, cast iron and won't play nice with a steel distributor gear. Composite gears that are claimed to be compatible with both often times aren't. Two things are super critical on a freshly built small block Ford; proper break in of a flat tappet cam and distributor gear selection---get it wrong and you will likely find yourself with an engine full of metal after the gears destroy one another.

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hydraulic cam
But is it a hydraulic roller or hydraulic flat tappet? Rollers are steel and will eat a cast distributor gear; flat cams are often, but not always, cast iron and won't play nice with a steel distributor gear. Composite gears that are claimed to be compatible with both often times aren't. Two things are super critical on a freshly built small block Ford; proper break in of a flat tappet cam and distributor gear selection---get it wrong and you will likely find yourself with an engine full of metal after the gears destroy one another.

Good luck,
Jeff
Sorry, flat tappet hydraulic cam. So you're recommending a cast iron distributor gear to go with the flat tappet cam, correct? Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so no other recs out there other than the distributor gear composition?
anyone have issues with the MSD box itself? seems like most of the complaints are about their coils.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,120 Posts
I would check w/ the cam manufacturer on what gear to use. I can't recommend my ignition system because Mallory no longer sells my distributor. But I can make a general comment. My distributor has a magnetic pickup which operates the coil. No box of any kind. 44k miles and it has never caused a problem and still runs great.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Allstar performance makes one that works with the FItech. You will need a phasable rotor available from msd and lock out the mechanical advance.

https://allstarperformance.com/hp-ford-distributor-221-302-all81246/

It uses all the same internals as MSD. It's probably made in China just like all the rest, but at least it doesn't say MSD on it. LOL.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,159 Posts
Yes, certainly determine the proper distributor gear as mentioned above, but as far as ignition, it might help to know what kind of "look" you are aiming for with the engine (period small-block, or lots of billet bling, etc.) and your driving intentions. A street driver doesn't need a fancy "spark box" with a bunch of bells and whistles. For a nice driver I recommend a "ready to run" type distributor with matching coil. No external box, limits the wiring and keeps things clean. MSD, Mallory, and others offer them, but also check out the Pertronix distributor. They have a nice "cast" unit that looks like a vintage Ford distributor but has the electronic module under the cap with rev limiter built in.

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
380 Posts
I assumed he was wanting to control timing with the FItec which limits your distributor choice. If not controlling timing then the choice is endless.

Yes, certainly determine the proper distributor gear as mentioned above, but as far as ignition, it might help to know what kind of "look" you are aiming for with the engine (period small-block, or lots of billet bling, etc.) and your driving intentions. A street driver doesn't need a fancy "spark box" with a bunch of bells and whistles. For a nice driver I recommend a "ready to run" type distributor with matching coil. No external box, limits the wiring and keeps things clean. MSD, Mallory, and others offer them, but also check out the Pertronix distributor. They have a nice "cast" unit that looks like a vintage Ford distributor but has the electronic module under the cap with rev limiter built in.

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
380 Posts
Something to be aware of. If FItech is controlling timing it has a limit of around 20 degrees of advance. You can program more advance but it can't do it. So you must have enough initial advance to be able to reach the total. IE: To get 38 degrees total advance you would need to set initial at 18. I discovered this on the dyno chasing a low HP problem. Finally put a timing light on it and saw the timing stopped advancing. Subsequently I read some discussion of that issue.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,852 Posts
I'm not sure if it is compatible.

But I agree with MastangMan, Pertronix is a nice system. It gives you all the features without a box. Multi-spark through the whole range, which a lot of boxes don't, and a rev limiter which every Cobra should have.

·
Buck
288 Posts
I run the Fitech 600 with the MSD dist. I let the FiTech control timing and have had no issues. Just be sure the MSD model can be locked out.
Buck

MSD85793 dist and MSD84211 adj. rotor

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
distributor/FiTech combo

ok...finally ready to purchase a distributor.
been doing lots of research and there seems to be lots of things to consider.
running a 289 with cast flat tappet cam, fitech 600hp efi.
hearing some good things about pertronix and was wondering if the linked distributor would be a good compatible choice for the set up

https://www.jegs.com/i/Pertronix/751/D1352/10002/-1ymm=4294829712+4294829830+4294829436

any input appreciated.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,135 Posts
I have your set-up.

Been using a CRANE HI-6 Box and coil for 14 years, no problems. I like the fact you can set rev limit with a small screwdriver.

Was running a Unilite distributor, just switched to a MSD dizzy.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have your set-up.

Been using a CRANE HI-6 Box and coil for 14 years, no problems. I like the fact you can set rev limit with a small screwdriver.

Was running a Unilite distributor, just switched to a MSD dizzy.
trying to run a set up with out a box.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I run a Mallory 4255111 ready to run 2 wire distributor with Mallory coil and required ballast resistor with my Fitech. I had issues using MSD and MSD wires inducing "spark noise".

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I run a Mallory 4255111 ready to run 2 wire distributor with Mallory coil and required ballast resistor with my Fitech. I had issues using MSD and MSD wires inducing "spark noise".
This has a steel gear. Should I not be looking for a cast iron gear to be compatible with my cam?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts