·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks, Karl

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
I bought my ignition switch from Ron Francis Wiring. It's a true double cut key not a tractor key. Plus it has a polished finish, and you can get the keys in four differant colors, red, blue tan and black. Hope this hhelps.
Lile

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
bought a late 60's Ford ignition switch. I liked the period look.

c

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
'65-'66 Mustang switch and bezel. Gives it the right look for the era and it has "OFF, RUN, and START" on the bezel...

Let me know if you want pics...

HTH...
Mark

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
I used the new ffr switch to replace the old one. However, i wish that i had thought to use a 65-66 mustang switch like Mark,
Can we see some pics Mark??

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Sure thing...

Here it is being mocked up (I used the OE horn button hole and enlarged it a bit):

Here it is with the dash covered:

If you want some better shots I can take them, this is all I had in my online diary/photobucket...

Mark

[ August 08, 2007, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Mustang Man ]

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Originally posted by Mustang Man:
'65-'66 Mustang switch and bezel. Gives it the right look for the era and it has "OFF, RUN, and START" on the bezel...

Let me know if you want pics...

HTH...
Mark
Great idea. I am using one from Ron Francis now, but if the hole diameter is the same, I may switch to this set up. Thanks !
Baron

·
Premium Member
9,693 Posts
I use the '66 Mustang switch, the only problem is you have to buy everything separately, There's the housing, the tumbler set, bezel, and a cup looking thing that holds it to the dash. It's also a little tricky removing or installing the tumbler, if you haven't done it before. John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
669 Posts
You guys are a bad influence. Working from home waiting for the next kid to be born has given me a little more free time than my wife likes. I just went out on ebay and bought: 64-66 Mustang ignition switch (new); 64-66 Mustang ignition/door matched lock set; 65-66 Mustang ignition switch bezel. Is there anything else I need? J Persons, you mention a cup looking thing that holds it to the dash? I've currently got the older FF5 ignition switch with the lawn mower key. I'm hopeing that this is a pretty easy swap out.

Thanks,
P.J.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
This is everything you need here:

You should be able to easily purchase all the parts from any reputable Mustang parts dealer.

PJ, the nearest place to you is KAR Mustang in Cincinatti. Call and ask for George Waydo, tell him I sent you and that you need the ignition switch spacer (the bell/cup thing) to go with your other parts. You also said you bought a switch. Do you mean the main switch body, or the ignition tumbler and key set? You'll need that if it didn't come with your switch...

We got our parts from Virginia Classic Mustang (if you need to buy the whole shooting match)...

HTH...
Mark

[ August 08, 2007, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Mustang Man ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
669 Posts
Thanks Mark,
I bought everything except the bell/cup thingy.
I'll give George a call.

P.J.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
669 Posts
Even better, KAR Mustang is here in Columbus off of Cleveland Ave just mile from a buddy's house. Never new they were there (I'm a Tbird guy). The spacer is $6.95

Thanks,
P.J.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Oh, that's right. I remember being in Cincinatti for something and then driving up to Columbus to see George. It's been a long time since I visited his place. I usually see him at shows/events instead...

Glad you got what you needed. Let me know if you need wiring help with the switch...

Mark

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,978 Posts
I don't have the cup either, got the other parts... what does the cup do, how does it fit? Does it go over the spring on the switch itself, and acts to hold against the back of the dash? if so, couldn't you use a large washer that'd fit over the nose of the switch but not over the spring? Also I've lost the wiring schematic so if someone could post it here it'd be appreciated...
ed

·
FFCobra Fanatic
669 Posts
Thanks Mark,
I'm hopeing that the I'll be able to take the wires off of the old switch and put them on the corresponding spot on the new switch. If different, please let me know.

Thanks,
P.J.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
669 Posts
Here is a copy of the American Autowire Systems diagram. Might be difficult to read.

with color lines drawn

HTH,
P.J.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
PJ, use the top switch diagram here to transfer your wires:

Ed, the cup goes over the front of the switch and has two recesses in it that accept the chrome bezel and locks the two together. The spring on the switch provides tension to keep it all in place. I would suggest using the proper part for all of $7...

If anyone needs directions on how to install the tumbler (or remove it) let me know...

HTH...
Mark

·
Charter Member
870 Posts
Which color wires go on the above letters for the early ignition switch,using 93 donor harness.
Sorry,cant seem to follow the wiring diagrams too well..
s?
A?
R?
P?
B?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts