Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a New Year's Day cruise, and filled up with gas. After I filled up, the car wouldn't start. The engine cranks, but I don't appear to be getting any spark.

I had the battery load tested, and it passes (rated for 450 CCA and measured at ~600 CCA). The battery (3yo Optima Yellow Top D51) is fully charged at 12.6 V.

I'm getting 12.5 V to the coil (TFI type) during run, as expected. However, at crank the voltage drops to ~10 V.

When I put jumper cables from my Jeep to the roadster, I get 14.5 V to the coil at run, and it drops to 12 V at crank.

When the engine cranks, I see on the Holley hand-held unit the RPMs are ~180-190.

Anybody got any ideas what I should test next? Any leads I should follow?

John

·
Registered
823 Posts
Since no one else has answered, I’ll give it a shot and start the ball rolling.

I suspect the coil or wiring to it. You have rpm sensed by the EFI, so your distributor pick up is good. That leaves the coil, ignition box(if used) and the wiring in between. Use one of your plug wires ( I usually use #4 or 8 because they’re the longest ) and a spare spark plug grounded against the engine or frame and get someone to try and start the engine to see if you have spark. You could get your wife to hold the spark plug while you turn the engine over. If she jumps and calls you bad names you’ve probably got spark.😇 Note this test is usually only good for one try so save it for when it’s really important!

Safety note: don’t take a spark plug out of the engine for this test. Since you’ve been trying to start with no success you may have a lot of unburnt fuel vapour in your cylinders and exhaust just waiting for a spark to set it off.

Hope This Helps

Norm

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,278 Posts
Only thing I can ad is also do the plug test to the coil by itself. Pull the coil wire from the distr cap and hold it near a ground to see if there is spark.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 4 of 4 Posts