Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the FMS crate motor with Duraspark type billet distributor ( Ford buys them from Mallory)and a Crane Hi-6 ignition. It's been running great EXCEPT that when it got hot and not all the time it would suddenly quit. Usually it would restart immediately. Once I had to pull over to get it to restart. All the electricals are working as is the fuel pump. It's an igition issue, but what is the question. Thinking that the plug I cobbled together to connect to the distributor might be the issue, I sprang for a new adapter from MSD. Started it up and now it runs POOR. Actually runs like it's got a bad point ignition in it. Great, now I've got TWO problems, so I'll bactrack on the plug and see if that takes me back to where I was. In the meantime I've still got this random cutout issue. It did it again today with the new MSD plug installed just as I was pulling up to a parking spot. I talked to Ford Tech as my first suspicion was that the pick up coil was faulty, but they swear they've never had a problem with these things on new installations. Before I call Crane and listen to them tell me how they never had this kind of problem, does anybody have any experiences in a similar situation they can share?
Thanks
Frank

·
Junior Charter Member
237 Posts
Frank,

What did you find out was causing the problem?

I had one something like you explained. It turned out to be a loose ground wire in the distributor.

Rich

·
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rich,
I'm not feeling so smart anymore. I deleted the adapter plug and direct conected the distributor to the ign box. Ran good yesterday but stalled twice on me this morning. :( So... I'm searching again. I still believe it's at the distributor, but I won't rule out anything till I find it. It runs great while it's running, just don't know for how long.
Frank

1 - 4 of 4 Posts