Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, I still forgot some time to take the ignition key with me when I park. Maybe it’s because they are on my left side...or because I am getting old. Anyone of you install any simple key reminder chime in your car?

·
Registered
266 Posts
My other cars now have keyless start buttons and I have to remember to take the Cobra keys with me. I now have a routine for getting into and out of the Cobra. And I do the entire routine each time. That keeps me from just jumping out after I turn off the car.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,298 Posts
Got One...

I used the '88 Mustang donor harness so I have the "HEY DUMMY"...
...you the left key in the ignition,
...the you left the lights on,
...fasten your seat belt and
...your door isn't closed.

Regards, Rick.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,236 Posts
Seriously, you cant remember to pull the key out when you switch the ignition off?

Frank
It is a ritual type thing that is learned, at least for me. I can see how it happens. I have done it a couple times myself. Getting out of my daily driver, my right hand does nothing but pull the key out of the ignition and hold them until I am out of the car and I slide my keys into my pocket. In my Cobra I have Kirky racing seats and a steering wheel that is not removable. I have to use both hands to lift myself out of the seat to an almost standing position before I can even try to step out of the car. I leave the keys in the ignition as I get out. After I am out I grab the keys out of the ignition. It is a ritual or process I go through when I get out of the car. At the same time, if I get distracted by someone asking about my car or kids near the pipes I sometimes lose focus on the process...

That said I do not have chimes or anything. I rely on the process...:laugh2:

·
Junior Charter Member
3,114 Posts
When I turn the key off, I take the key out and place it on the console. Then I raise myself out of the Street Performer seats, take a giant step out away from the side pipes, and sometimes remember to take the keys off of the console. I've left the keys in the ignition and on the console numerous times, and the car is still there when I come back. Luck?, I think not...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a ritual type thing that is learned, at least for me. I can see how it happens. I have done it a couple times myself. Getting out of my daily driver, my right hand does nothing but pull the key out of the ignition and hold them until I am out of the car and I slide my keys into my pocket. In my Cobra I have Kirky racing seats and a steering wheel that is not removable. I have to use both hands to lift myself out of the seat to an almost standing position before I can even try to step out of the car. I leave the keys in the ignition as I get out. After I am out I grab the keys out of the ignition. It is a ritual or process I go through when I get out of the car. At the same time, if I get distracted by someone asking about my car or kids near the pipes I sometimes lose focus on the process...

That said I do not have chimes or anything. I rely on the process...:laugh2:
Slaga, I have exactly the same setup with Kirky high back seat, so i need to use both and to push out of the car...maybe why something I forget. I will try to do the ritual from now on!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
You're not alone. I too had this problem for several days when getting it on the road. I asked everyone to remind me to get the keys. I attributed it to my leaving the key in the ignition for two years while it was in the garage. I finally trained myself to remember it.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
I solved this problem by Not Installing a Keyed Switch. I have an RFID and a push button (hidden under the edge of the dash). When I hit the push button to stop the engine, after 5 seconds, it won't crank even if you know where the push button is (with out the RFID, triggering the sensor). The first two FFR's I built with the Keyed switch but I always hid the battery disconnect behind the drivers seat. Once I switched the car off, I also turned the Battery switch off and removed it. (Yes In all 3 cars there's a Re-settable 10 amp breaker across the poles to keep power on the computer and clock.)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am running a key less ignition system from painless. The fob disarms the system (or you can use a proximity function). The fob goes in the pocket with me and stays there during and after the drive, so no key to leave in the ignition. There is no keyed ignition switch to be broken, picked or popped out by a thief, everything is tucked behind aluminum/fiberglass. If they were to get a hold of the fob, it is rather confusing cycling through the accessory, run and start functions. It's so confusing that even with specific instructions, the painter and family still had to call to ask how to start the car.
As for the millennial theft device: Funny, but actually multi-generational. :wink2:
In the end, nothing will stop a determined thief. A flatbed or tow truck will easily pull just about any car away in moments.

·
Senior Charter Member
534 Posts
Our cars have a wonderful and effective anti-theft device...........
Ain't that the truth!

My problem is remembering to take my keys out of my pocket before getting back into the car. It's not easy taking your keys out of your blue jean pockets when you are already buckled into the 5 point harness.

·
7,659 Posts
Ain't that the truth!

My problem is remembering to take my keys out of my pocket before getting back into the car. It's not easy taking your keys out of your blue jean pockets when you are already buckled into the 5 point harness.
Wear cargo pants and put the keys in an easy to access pocket. (Don't ask.)

Ray

·
Junior Charter Member
2,853 Posts
That is great.

I did leave my keys in the ignition once early on. I haven't done it for a long time.
More than once, I have strapped in and realized that my keys are in my pocket.

I have a chime if my lights are on and the ignition is off. All of this automatic stuff does make us lazy. I figured I might need that with my DD have automatic light.

Using the FFR ignition switch, I don't know how you would do it. There is nothing electrical to work with as far as key in / key out goes.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
I don't have a problem with the keys or the wheel chocks, but

I don't know how many times I have been strapped into the car, at an autocross, with my helmet strapped on, gloves on, tires pressures checked,

and my emergency brake still on and I can't reach it.

I feel sort of foolish to have to ask someone to come over to the car and release the brake.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,723 Posts
Easy-Peasy fix

EXACTLY why I moved my E-Brake to the left side of the driver with the "Fiero Mod" and it makes for a great "hill-holder" if that situation ever arises.

Doc :beerchug:

FWIW, I left the key once, but I removed the RED battery key - my car is wired so nothing works if the RED key is missing - no lights, no starter, no horn, nothing.
My best anti-theft device is the E-brake relocation - most would never think to look where it is to release it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts