Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's play a fun game. Let's say you found out that Bill Gate's was your long lost brother and he wants to make up for lost time by giving you $100,000 to build an FFR car. What would you do with the money?

Rules: Include the kit cost, shipping, etc...

- Bill

·
Rip Snortin Post Maniac
1,044 Posts
Build a low budgett donor build for $20k.

Spend $80k on building a GT-40 :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Build a nice crate motor FFR roadster.
Build a nice 32 Ford highboy roadster.
Build a 4 car garage to put them in.

·
Senior Charter Member
393 Posts
Cobra-quattro w/BB EFI!

Would probably have to spring for a lift, welder, and a couple of other "essential" tools.

Is it safe to have draft beer in the garage?

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: CobRat ]

·
7,842 Posts
I would start with an aluminum block stroked to 331. Aluminum heads, super charger,and a real nice intake system. Enough for the compressor, now on to the car. Definately a coupe with a 351, aluminum diff for the IRS. Leather interior ABS AIR stability control, and ONSTAR. YOU SAID JUST FOR FUN ;) ;) ;)

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
ONSTAR - "ONSTAR customer support, how can we help you Mr. Everson?"

EVERSON - "I seem to be out of gas again. Can you send the gas truck out?"

ONSTAR - "Yes sir, right away. We have your GPS position verified and fuel will arrive within 15 minutes. Would you like it billed to your usual account?"

EVERSON - "That will be fine, thank you Sally."

;)

·
Charter Member
1,765 Posts
Go faster.
;) Scott

·
Registered
370 Posts
Well...in all honesty there's only so much you can do...powdercoat frame, IRS, A/C & Heat, killer stereo, Superslick paint job, chrome everything...but you'd still have about $60,000 left. How about a lenco and a 1000 HP super trick, last forever engine??? Well...a lenco won't cost THAT much...why not a last forever engine??? :eek: dino

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Build my dream cobra...
....custom hand laid carbon fibre body, no paint. All trim, roll bar,aluminum and wheels would be anodized black. Hard core heavy duty AWD system. White face guages. Big 302, naturally asperated, with Coates spherical valve train for high revs and big hp. Licence would read CRBN COPY or WLTR W8. This would do me just fine.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
How about use the left over 60 grand to travel and race at every FFR event for the next ten years?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
Ha, I haven't seen a Coates valvetrain mentioned anywhere in awhile.

-steve in nj-

Oh yeah. Carbon fibre. Aluminum block engine. God...some sort of wicket trans. Paddleshift? I guess it would have to be the coupe. IRS of course. I guess I'd have to have that engine built with really expensive titanium rods just to get the car near 100k.

-steve in nj-

·
Registered
298 Posts
30K for FFR build
5K paint house
43K new car for wife
7K in Diamonds (cant short gift when you got one of those things in the garage)
10K new deck

wow it looks like I have 5K left over to buy a supercharger or something....

Wait this was supposed to be a what if.... sorry this but this is my itemized cost sheet for my build.... :(

·
THRAMP-master
3,473 Posts
Complete Viper V-10 from Mopar is about $14K with all electrics, injectors, etc.; 6-speed trans; custom Ford 9" IRS rear. Spend the rest on driving schools and a "Garage Majal". :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Twin turbo V12 (you gotta love the sound of a V12 at 6000 rpms) A tranny and rear that wont explode with the engine. Better roll cage and airbags. BIG brakes and tires. No need for a stereo nothing would likely be nicer to listen to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lets see...

Okay, first I would get an original 427 s/c to use as a reference for my ffr build and then... oh crap no more money, sure we only get $100,000?

·
Charter Member
635 Posts
If I don't quit buying neat little gadgets and add on parts that I read about on this forum I'm gonna reach that amount now. Just got the kit late December and it seems like I spend over a thousand dollars a week on things that will make my car a little better. $1000 to Vintage Performance Motorcars, $2750 for wheels and tires, $900 for Crane hyd. roller cam for my 460, etc...but it's worth it every time I open the garage door and see that little beast slowly taking shape. Can't wait to drive it!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
510 Posts
A variation of Cobrat's idea. I'll get Jeff Walker to build a custom frame and use a
GMC Syclone or Typhoon as my donor for the drivetrain. Then add all the go-fast stuff on top of that. :cool:

·
Junior Charter Member
2 Posts
Buy one of the new Hummer H2's ($55,000) with a nice aluminum trailer ($10,000) to pull the Cobra when I have the family. Also a Porsche Speedster replica for the wife ($20,000). Oh, and $15,000 in go-fast parts for the Cobra.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
In my attempt to enjoy the excitement of both worlds (street and track) with a reasonable budget (that really got out of hand) I have opted for the FFR Roadster with the great legendary looks of the fearsome 427 Street/Competition Cobra but powered by a mildly warmed over Ford crate small block with the hope of experiencing some friendly gentlemanly competition on the track.

However given the opportunity to access $100K purely for the pleasure of building the ideal FFR I would have to go this route. I would have pro-built two FFRs, 1) an FFR Slabside 289 Weber injected car set up for the track only at $60K and 2) an FFR MKII 427 roadster with a 427 s/o or t/o for the street at $40K... :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts