Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Timing set at @9 Btdc and have done the "setting idle" about 100 times and the TPS adjustment also. 0,96V.
Right after I´ve set the idle the car runs good but after taking it for a ride for maybe 30 minutes it just won´t idle ok. It goes from 1000 to 800 and up again...and down...and up..
The engine backfires alot. I think the timing is set to low, but can this really fix my idling problem as well?
I´ve launched other topics regarding this and read even more about idling and timing.

The car ran perfect before I started doing:
-Installing Powerdyne 6psi Scharger,
-Installing the vacuum tree at the firewall,
-Installing an extra fuel-preassure-regulator as an FMU,
-Changing the timing from factoryset timing,
-Changing idle after the SCharger was installed,
-Installing boost/vaccuum gauge,
-Changing the idle over and over again including the turning on/off engine and relearing the computer the idle.

I´ve searched for vacuumleaks several times and can´t find any...
What should I do next?
Peter

·
Junior Charter Member
815 Posts
Baseline timing per Ford is 10 deg BTDC. Some guys run up to 14 deg. I'd say 9 is too low to start.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Peter - how close is the mass air meter to the suction of the blower. If it's too close, say clamped right to the 90° elbow, you could be getting some backwash off the blower inlet. That will REALLY confuse the MAF meter. Also.....what did you do w/ the vent line that runs from the throttle body to the oil fill? If you didn't do it already, you need to plug the connection at the throttle body, and re-route that line to the suction of the blower (between the MAF and blower). If it's still in the stock location, you have a giant vacuum leak (which will cause a hunting idle).

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wade, I did like you told me to.
I moved the MAMeter from the charger approx 5" and also 5" from the air-filter.
I plugged the TB-hose and connected the hose from the oil-fill-neck to the air-intake right before the charger but after the MAmeter.
I set the timing to 12 BTDC and re-adjusted the idle and "programmed" the computer, and also set the TPS at .98V.

The car runs like it was new, it idles perfect and shoots from the redlight as a two-wheeled rocket.....

I didn´t realize that the way the hose from the TB to the Oil-fill was connected "created" a vaccum-problem.

Just minor adjustment with timing and idle left, want it at 11 degrees (it´s a bit hard for the starter-motor to crank the engine when hot) and also want to decrease the idle from 1000 to 850/900 RPM but that´s just minor stuff.

Thanks a lot, I´ve been struggling with this for too many hours and it feels great that it finally turned out well!
Thanks,
Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts