Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - Put put my spindles on being careful to make sure the one marked PSS was on the passenger side and DSS on the drive. Looking at the manual and the mkvi build site I orientated it with the larger cast wedge of the spindle on top. I torque them down but had to remove the spacer washer for the crown nut to line up with the holes for the cotter pin.

Next I went to bolt on the steering arms but when tried to do that it looks like my spindles are other on the wrong side of the car or the are upside down. Here is a picture of my passenger side spindle but as you can see the hole at the top of the spindle is bending towards the front of the car as oppose to the rear and the other hole level with the spindle is towards the front of the car instead of the rear.

I seem like the only way to correct the problem is put the spindle mark DSS on the passenger side and the spindle mark PSS on the drive side.

Thoughts - Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
Backwards!

Page 42 of the manual. DSS and PSS markings on the spindles are for the 33 Hot Rod which is rear steer. The Roadster uses these as front steer so are mounted opposite of the markings. Sorry got to change them. :sad:

Tom

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yup, backwards. The spindles are incorrectly marked for the roadster.

Tim

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome - Again my belief is restored in the following two things

1. that the Manual is mis-titled - definitely more of a loose guideline type book of possibly correct and maybe not so correct ways of assembling your car.:smash:

2 Any questioned can be answered on this forum before you finish your beer break.:evil:

Thanks Guys - Back to the garage...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Guys - Put put my spindles on being careful to make sure the one marked PSS was on the passenger side and DSS on the drive. Looking at the manual and the mkvi build site I orientated it with the larger cast wedge of the spindle on top. I torque them down but had to remove the spacer washer for the crown nut to line up with the holes for the cotter pin.

Next I went to bolt on the steering arms but when tried to do that it looks like my spindles are other on the wrong side of the car or the are upside down. Here is a picture of my passenger side spindle but as you can see the hole at the top of the spindle is bending towards the front of the car as oppose to the rear and the other hole level with the spindle is towards the front of the car instead of the rear.

I seem like the only way to correct the problem is put the spindle mark DSS on the passenger side and the spindle mark PSS on the drive side.

Thoughts - Thanks

Sorry I just noticed... you also have the upper control arms with the solid corner facing the rear . For what its worth, the manual says to mount the UCA with the solid corner facing forward. In the one photo I have the JEGs longer front UCA for more caster with power steering, but you get the idea. More BEER.........

Tom

Auto part Tire Suspension Suspension part Vehicle
Auto part Suspension Machine tool Machine
Vehicle Suspension Formula one car Automotive design Auto part

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
Sal,
You going to be home tomorrow?
I need an excuse for a nice ride.
We can knock that out in a few minutes.

Bob S.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry I just noticed... you also have the upper control arms with the solid corner facing the rear . For what its worth, the manual says to mount the UCA with the solid corner facing forward. In the one photo I have the JEGs longer front UCA for more caster with power steering, but you get the idea. More BEER.........

Tom

View attachment 34665 View attachment 34666 View attachment 34664
Yup Tom you are correct. The spindles are on the wrong side the real issue is I torqued them down so now I can not get the threaded stud of the ball joints to come out of the spindles. I tried everything i could think of to get them to come out including disassembling the a lot of what i already put together. You can see in the pic, I took the UCA apart, disconnected the shock from the LCA to try an get at the studs to knock them out of the spindles. I am open to suggestions. For now I have moved on to painting my rear hubs and differential with POR 15

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sal,
You going to be home tomorrow?
I need an excuse for a nice ride.
We can knock that out in a few minutes.

Bob S.
Bob - that would be awesome!!!! I am home all day so come on out - I would love to get those spindles off and get back on track. The the detour is just part of the journey...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just take the whole lower control arm off and move to the other side!
I type too slow. :)
Damn Rich & Dave - that is what to smart and easy of a solution!!! That is like cheating. I am off to the garage, feeling a little less smarter then before my laughing my a-- off

·
Registered
938 Posts
and for the record, to get the outer tie rod end out of the steering arm on the spindle you don't hit the top of the tie rod bolt to mash it out of the steering arm. In fact, it works WAY better if you hit the hammer against the steering arm and for some reason the vibrations loosens up the tie rod end and it pops out. I forget why I had to remove mine way back when, but that was the advice I got and it worked perfectly.

But I LOVE the swapping sides solution. Its genious.

-Michael

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok they are switched - Thanks for the idea of disconnecting the control arms...

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I am confused which way the upper control arms are to be orientated because on the Mark III on page 48 of the manual there is a photo of the DS with the solid facing forward and on page 49 the photo of the PS is facing rearward... So which is right for both Mk III and IV?

·
Not a waxer
12,128 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts