Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tranny is a stock donnor 93 T5 with under 5000 miles on it and about 50 miles in the Cobra so I am really
not happy. I was in 2nd gear, stood on it and bang. No noise in neutral but as soon as I tried to move forward or reverse lots of bad noises. Car rolls OK, had to push it home close to a mile, lucky I had help. The engine is a stock 5.0 so not excessive power.
So what to do, buy new, used or try to rebuild it?? My wife said just buy a new one but lots of
that I did not plan on.
David W

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
I know they say the T5 is the weak link, but you would think a fresh one should withstand romps with a stock motor. You can always pop it open and see what broke, may be a lot less $ to repair than a new one.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
The last one I pulled apart that had those symptoms, there were no teeth left on the input shaft. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "Stipped gearbox"..

Pull the drain plug (you'll have to drain it anyways) if you get a handful of teeth, just count on spending about $500 to repair it or replace it with a Tremec and you'll most likely never have to worry about it again...

·
Charter Member
141 Posts
If this is a budget build and you plan to stay with the stock engine, buy a junkyard T-5 from a 90+ mustang. If you plan to upgrade the engine past the 400hp mark, get a Tremec.

Good luck.

·
Charter Member
972 Posts
Yikes. Doesn't sound like you had a fun day.

You're going to have to pull it out anyway, so why not have a look inside? If there's only one broken gear, maybe not too hard to fix. On the other hand, if there's a lot of broken china in there...............

If you decide to throw a different T5 in there you should be able to pick one up used around town. If not, I know someone in BC who has some and stands behind them.

Let me know if you need help pulling it out. If you have a MkII, it will be a bear.

Dennis B.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think tomorrow I will start by draining the tranny to confirm that it died and then start getting ready to pull the engine/trans. I will likely go with a new tranny but I will also see what used ones are around before I decide. I have a very low mile donnor drive train and I would like to keep the car reliable...? Then if I can get one by next weekend I am thinking of a tranny change out party. Dennis we need to get together and any help you can give would be great.
David W

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
In the part section:

I have a T-5 completely rebuilt to FMS /Tremec Z-specs.All new 2.95 first gear,Super Alloy hardened 2nd 3rd and 4th gear(input shaft).All new syncro's bearings and small parts,steel bearing retainer.Everything inside this box is new!. Summit sells it for $1149 plus $75 freight.$925 shipped.Email me [email protected]

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
David,
Had the same thing happen to my stock T5 behind a stock 5.0 after a couple hundred miles. Got a brand new Tremec 3550 and am very happy with it for TWO reasons.
1. Never have to worry about it holding up to future engine upgrades.
2. Running a 3:55 Rear End. First gear in the T5 was worthless. The Tremec is close-ratio and that means first is higher and much, much more useable now.
I have about $1,300 in the Tremec and new bell housing. I gave the T5 to a Mustang friend and he's saying the parts (including new bearings, seals etc) to rebuild it are going to run $750.
The Tremec was a no-brainer for me.
I hate maintaining a car but UPGRADING, now that's fun! :D
HTH,
d.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info, I am in Canada so shipping is a problem $$ from US suppliers. The tranny is done. Started the engine and with the trans in neutral clutch engaged it makes bad noises. So I drained the fluid and got some magnetic particles out. Back to the garage to get started on diconnecting stuff and on tuesday I will look at what new ones cost.
David W

1 - 10 of 10 Posts