Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
If you are going donor use the factory harness (dieted) or I squared. A factory harness cut down should be the easiest. The I squared is the nicest and most flexible system but not cheap. I know a few people who think the painless does indeed cause pain but have no personel experience with it.

Disclaimer: IMHO

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Talbert,
I used the Painless harness for a Carb build. Pretty easy to work with. However if I knew about the i-squared when I was making the decision, I'd go that way. Seems like the relays make it simpler to wire. The guys who wired with i-squared rave about their installation. The Painless installers are only happy.

The painless doesn't hook-up your EFI. You need an additional harness. FFR sells a stand-alone EFI harness. It just hooks up the EFI and the computer. I don't know about i-square, but I think you still need the extra EFI harness there too.
Pete

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
I found the I-Squared "painless"..... ok, bad joke.

When you boil it down, the only real problem(?) is I-Squared is expensive in comparison but operationally, they both achieve the same ends.

The biggest things going for I-Squared:

No need to figure out where the relays go; there are none. They are all built into the box.

No 12V carrying switches. With possibly the exception of heater fan and windshield wiper switch. In my case, I avoided that as well. Every switch on the dash carries a few "millivolts". If you accidently touch the back of a switch to ground, no sparks, not melting, nothing.

I-Squared has computer cirucitry that "monitors" voltages, attempts to maintain overcurrent as much as possible and as often as possible. It is truely a digital system.

Simply less wiring since you no longer need to wire voltage for relays. All wires coming out of the "Power Controller" go straigth to the device you want to activate. That's it.

I'd buy it again on a new project if my wife would let me!

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
If I was to do it again I would NOT choose Painless,it's a very antiquated system.
I've seen I squared and it is very elegant in comparison.
Paul M.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I went with the I-Squared system and I was glad I did. A much cleaner look. For the 4.6L build, It was no more expensive than getting my harness dieted ...travis

·
1,672 Posts
I Square system is great but you still need a fuel injection harness with it. The Mass Flo one they sell adds 4 additional relays and a fuse block - not really cleanly integrated. It is all very well done but be cleaner if totally integrated.

·
Junior Charter Member
710 Posts
Talbert, I-Squared all the way. I am electrical idiot (LOL) the system is straight forward an Chris is always there to answer your ??'s. GREAT GUY an nice, clean product.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
I squared was not available when I did mine, or I would have probably used it. As for the Painless harness, IMO, there are much better harnesses available. From what I've seen, the Painless harness uses a smaller wire gauge in their harness than some of the others. John

·
Junior Charter Member
709 Posts
I Squared by a mile !!!!

·
Junior Charter Member
75 Posts
I don't know what your electrical background is, but here is a comment from a basic wiring idiot.

The only real wiring I have done is on our 1968 Mustang GT/CS. There, we removed an underdash harness and installed into the restored GT/CS. We have a few things to figure out but basically, it was straight forward.

Now, for the FFR cobra. The car belongs to my brother-in-law. I pulled the short stick and got the wiring detail. He ordered the I-Squared and to be honest, I was scared to death. The kit comes with a lot of wire and these really cool looking boxes. Joe L. from this site has put together some amazing wiring diagrams that were fantastic to work with. As well, Joe is on this forum to provide advise.

Long story short, we have just about completed the I-Squared wiring system. And, in looking back, I think it is a great system. It is alittle difficult at first to get your head around the fact that it is wired alittle different than anything you might be used to. Once you understand and believe in the concept, everything works great.

Paul

·
Registered
648 Posts
I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared

ASK ME HOW I KNOW.....No electrical or mechanical experience, wired my car in ONE DAY. YOu would be crazy to go anywhere else!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I Squared! You just can't beat the customer support 7 days a week. I think Chris just can't help himself to answer the phones everyday.

Great guy, Very user friendly system. Sometimes we make it harder than it needs to be. "Nuking it out" as they say.

·
65 FANGS
522 Posts
FFR/Ron Francis sure was easy. My 15 year old had it in, about 1 hour. Sure is pretty. all neat and right lengths. except for the inertia switch. which BTW

·
65 FANGS
522 Posts
FFR/Ron Francis sure was easy. My 15 year old had it in, about 1 hour. Sure is pretty. all neat and right lengths. except for the inertia switch. which BTW comes with it. It will be awhile before we see results or sparks :eek: . But it sure was easy.

·
Charter Member
1,065 Posts
I Squared. The system is very easy to install. Chris is great to work with. Karl

·
Karting
35 Posts
Originally posted by 5N4K3:
I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared I-Squared

ASK ME HOW I KNOW.....No electrical or mechanical experience, wired my car in ONE DAY. YOu would be crazy to go anywhere else!
More accurately, his son's 15 year old friend wired it in one day, with basic computer/electrical knowledge. and unlike so many Cobra milestones, did not need a
at the end of the day.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.