Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are installing the I-Squared system. In the dash diagram, it states that instrument power should be added to the fuel sending unit. I have the wire running from the fuel gauge and the ground. With only two wires, where did you hook a power wire??

Paul

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Paul...

First thing, tell us what gauges you are using, and lets make sure you have the terminology right. The fuel sending unit is what's in the tank. The fuel sending unit does not get "instrument power" per se, it does need to be connected to the sender stud or terminal on the gauge however.

An electric gauge will have at least three terminals: gauge power, gauge ground, and gauge sender. If the gauge is lighted it will have at least one more wire for illumination (some gauges have a separate light ground)...

Let us know what gauge you are using and then some I-Squared installer can help further...

Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark

Thanks for the post. It is my brother in-law's car that we are assisting with. It has electronic gauges and the fuel sending unit is regular factory five (with only two wires).

I already have the dash pretty much wired and a lead going from fuel gauge to sending unit. As well, a ground at sending unit. I already have power at guage and illumination and guage ground.

According to the I-Squared diagram for dash (Joe Leone), he shows instrument power to fuel level sensor, then on to gauge set. That is what confused me.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
I show three wires to the FFR sender. One is ground, one is signal to gauge, and one is to fuel pump (as source for +12V). The line to the fuel pump can be to any other switched +12V source. The gauge, in turn, has it's own +12V source, the wire from the sender, and its own ground. The reason I didn't show the gauge and sender sharing the +12V source and ground is because they are 5 or 6 feet apart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.