Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to pull my trans out and have the syncros replaced, and what a bitch it was to get it out! Now I see why there was a design change between the MKII and III I fought it coming out and back in. What a nightmare! I pitty anyone who ever has to pull their trans out of there MKI or II.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
MKI wouldn't be so bad..the trans tunnel bracing wasn't in them i don't think

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I think it's more the MK II that was hard.
I've had the tranny out of my MK I with little trouble.

RR

·
Junior Charter Member
3,114 Posts
I'll second the nightmare on removing the tranny from a MKII. I did it all by myself, but I hope I NEVER have to do it again. Pete

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to turn it and move the engine up and down, and work it like a rubix cube untill we could get it in. I even had a friend of mine who is a Ford master tech helping me and he couldn't believe how bad it was. He was joking with me that I better have had someone good build it because he wasn't going to help me again with it.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,435 Posts
Why not just pull the motor and tranny together? It seemed like I had my motor and trans in under an hour. Out would be slower I'm sure, but is there some reason you can't pull the motor? Maybe the body get's in the way (it was installed with the body off, so maybe that's the problem?

Just wondering in case I'm ever in that situation.

-Mike

·
Charter Member
1,489 Posts
I pulled mine out the top of the trans tunnel on my MKI. 20 minutes, once everything was disconnected. Mike

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike_M, the body is on, motor full of fluids and completely wired. It would be alot of work to pull the motor at the same time. DrummerMike, does the MKI have cross braces in the top of the trans tunnel like the MKII. One other problem is I had Fat Mat covering all of the panels. I would have had to cut it all to get the panel back off, not to mention pulling the seats back out.

·
238 Posts
The good news is: it can be done. Looking at it from below makes me wonder how you did it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts