Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my primer. I had significant issues with the interface between my lack of skill and the cheapass HF gun, but it is done for now

before pic

Attachments

·
Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After pic

Attachments

·
Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may have done the world's worst primer job

Attachments

·
Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Plenty of thickness for blocking though. it does give me second thoughts about doing the final paint.

Attachments

·
Charter Member
2,612 Posts
Jon,
After I sprayed the Slick Sand, I had a few spots like that. It's real thick and lays on heavy. Nothing a little 320-600 won't fix. Keep up the good work.

Rob

·
Registered
215 Posts
No worries, there is always a learning experience. It looks like I need yo invest in a good quality gun and larger compressor. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
319 Posts
John , I would go after that with a 180 grit to knock the really heavy stuff down. Don't forget the meds.and ice packs for your arms and shoulders. Heavy primers need a 2.2 or 2.4 nozzle I think Northern Tool got a 2.3. Block it out , get a primer gun and practice adjusting the gun and spraying on some old cardboard.:evil:

·
Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Used a 2.0 and thinned it a bit. Did not bother cleaning the gun after, strait to the trash pile. While I am disappointed with the results, a night's sleep has provided perspective. Even though I have a lot ahead of me, this was a huge step, a significanr mental hurdle to get it primed. They say you can fix any bodywork error with sandpaper and more paint. We shall see.

·
Junior Charter Member
249 Posts
John, what your going thru is normal. I had the same frustrations as you, just don't stop.
I finally got paint on my coupe last month and even though there are a few blemishes they will sand out and look just fine.
I bought a Millennium GTI from DeVilbiss and it worked so much better compared to the old POS, I felt like'd won the lottery. Pay the money and get a good gun.
Good luck.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Gray body

Although the HF stuff is not a quality product and is hit and miss you can get decent results with their guns. The biggest difference is that they don't spray as fine a mist as a good gun. But color sanding and polishing take care of that. If you were a commercial shop this would cost you money due to the additional labor. Thats why pros go for the big buck guns. I have shot thick primer and even filler with a 1.4 nozzle. It takes a little more thinning and more coats but can be done. Block the body with 180 or 220 and give it another try. Cheap guns are air pigs and you need a decent compressor. As you lose pressure the spray gun turns into a hose and will just squirt the paint out and not have enough push to atomize the paint. I think thats what happened to you. Also the air and paint temp along with the temp of the parts you are spraying should all be uniform and appropiate for the product you are spraying. Practice on card board as suggested. Also look at the spray pattern it will tell you if you are in the ball park. As you sweep the gun across the panel it should leave an even area of paint behind. If not keep adjusting the gun. Don't paint if you can't get a nice "fan from the gun. You will be wasting time and money. There is a ton of painting books and magazines available for beginners with photos showing what things should look like. The best of all is to find someone with experience to give you some in person pointers. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
John,

The real question is, where you able to smooth the mold lines properly so they won't show. If so, some elbow grease and sandpaper will fix this and you're well on you way. Keep it up!

John

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Don't worry, after you block sand it you will probably find that you need to spray more primer. So you will get more practice. :icon18:

It's always fun turning that primer into expensive driveway dust. :001_tongue:

·
Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John,

The real question is, where you able to smooth the mold lines properly so they won't show. If so, some elbow grease and sandpaper will fix this and you're well on you way. Keep it up!

John
I thought I had it great, really worked at getting it smooth and fair. Now hard to tell with 1/8" of lumpy primer on it. If I knew how thick this stuff was, I would have saved a ton of time on filler.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.