Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can build a car but put a computer in front of me and i am lost. i bought a laptop from bestbuy and they told me i could copy my 8MM tapes into the computer using a ATI thing. i got that to work ok but now i have no idea on how to burn a DVD. i think i bought the wronge DVD. i bought a DVD-R media but cannot get it to work. do i need to get a DVD-RW to work with my system. heres what i bought
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6981082&type=product&cmp=++&id=1099388214527

·
Member 2394
6,142 Posts
Umm,

I think the only difference in a R and a RW is once you wRite a R, you can't change or copy over it, becomes a muilti colored coaster.

I think your problem lies in the format. If the DVD-RW in the computer does not accept the format from the camera, it wont work.

Check what format the compuer records the 8mm in. Then see if the DVDRW writes that format.

But then again I have never owned a DVD anything and am most likly wrong.

Maybe you can open the DVD-RW software up and burn from camera? That way it may be able to change thing?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Bring it Knott's next weekend if your going and I'll show you how to use it.

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am going to knotts next weekend. i tried that program and when i went ot copy it i was told i had the wronge media in. i am using a DVD-R disk. i think thats the problem

·
Senior Charter Member
1,814 Posts
Originally posted by jammin1:
i am using a DVD-R disk. i think thats the problem
That is not your problem, unless you tried to record on it once and you are trying again. -R can only be used once. If you try to record to it and mess up, its a coaster, you can't try a second time.

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
I wonder if your software is trying to write to the dvd-r faster than the drive will support. All 'flavours' of writeable dvd should work, it's not that you've bought the wrong media.

I would suggest buying at least one dvd-rw. That will let you make mistakes, as GH or GH says, dvd-r is one shot.

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i found under a DLA read me file that my DVD burner will not take DVD-R media. i assume that i need to use DVD-RW media. does this make sense to anyone

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
No, according the worst buy link you posted, it has a DVD drive that can write to DVD-R and DVD+R media. If it truly can not take DVD-R media, then it will not work with DVD-RW; you will need to use DVD+R and/or DVD+RW. The problem, though, is most home DVD players are not compatible with DVD+R formats, only DVD-R. Bring it to Knott's with some extra DVD-R disks and we'll figure it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts