Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been years since I've driven my car at night. While driving the other night I realized how poor the stock ffr headlights are. Barely adequate, even with high beams. Anybody find a budget friendly option with good performance? Looking for an easy upgrade. There are tons of deer 馃 in my area and they love to roam around when the sun goes down. Thanks for any help

Registered
I put the F5 headlights in my Mk IV and one blew pretty quickly. Upon replacing them both with Syvania Halogen or something light that, I too realized how poor the F5 provided lamps were.
I know LED is steps above what I bought, but for plug and play, NO complications, buy the best name brand.
good luck,

Registered
search for "headlight upgrades" or similar.

I use Hella E-Code 7" conversions and H4 bulbs.
Morimoto and others have LED H4 replacement bulbs
Breeze has a LED kit
Holley has a kit
Most any 7" lamp will work. Many options listed for Jeeps.

And you are correct, sealed bulb 7" lamps are pretty bad.

Jim

Registered
Check with Mark Reynolds at Breeze Automotive. I believe he still has a plug and play LED conversion for all the exterior lights on the car. LEDS make a huge difference.

Registered

Registered
I have the Watson's Steetworks lights. They are just 7" Hella lenses with an LED bulb. The light pattern is just as bad as all of the LED conversions. If I were to do it again, I would just get a 7" sealed LED lens unit. They light output is so much better.

Registered

Too Cheap to paint!
Full modern LED and new steel headlight mounts

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

Registered
They look great!, Which did you end up going with?

Too Cheap to paint!
Found them on e-bay. Look for a thread I posted in the last two years

Registered
I did the full LED Package from Breeze, major improvement over the incandescent stuff. Simple swap.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Waiting on a cheap pair of headlights from Amazon. In the meantime, I bought a set of led H3 bulbs for my Hella 500 driving lights. Much brighter plus they run cooler. Worth the $18.

Registered
I second the E code suggestion from Jim. Hard to beat a high quality Hella/Cibie H4 light running with the proper relays. I run Marchal lights that I got from Daniel Stern lighting. They are incredible and look the part.

Reactions: Jim1855

Junior Charter Member
I have the same set up as Jim1855. I used 12ga wires for power and ground from the relays to the lights. They work great and look good. I suggest to look up Daniel Stern's website. He also supplied me with a good DRL system.

Registered
I first tried Lucas P700 knock offs and LED H4
replacements and the pattern was not drivable.

I went back to regular H4 bulbs and the pattern was better, but I did not like the lights. The low beams were not good, high beams OK.

I then bought Holley RetroBrights with the modern white color and I am satisfied.

Registered
If I was to switch to LEDs it would most likely be the Morimoto 2Stroke 3.0 H4 replacement bulbs. I used an earlier version of the 2Stroke H4s in another car replacing HIDs, the results were spectacular. But not cheap, quality has a price.

Bulb Size - H4 | Morimoto: LED & HID Headlights, Projectors, Ballasts, and Bulbs (morimotohid.com)

There's a lot more to the light as you see it from the driver's seat. Beam & cut-off pattern, color, the system of the bulb and lamp housing. Construction quality and the clarity of the lamp's glass and reflector all matter. The Morimotos provide for rotational tuning after the installation. I believe that this is a great feature and solves some of the downsides of the LEDs. The two primary lighting specs are USA DOT and European E-code. The difference is cut-off and light pattern. I'll take E-code anytime and eventually the USA standard will change to something similar, it's in the works.

Then there's the aesthetics of the lamps. I'm not a fan of the new style "bug eye" LED conversion systems, you may be. I like the more original look of the Cibie, Marchal and Hella lamps and even the old, sealed beams

Jim

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I received my 7" led amazon headlights. They looked too modern for my car. They probably would work very well, and they seemed well made for less then $100 for the pair. Sent them back and tried a 3 sided h4 led bulb. I figured it might give a better pattern because it puts out sort of a 360 degree glow. They wouldn't work because they only light 2 sides at a time. Sent those back and just ordered a pair of Hella h4 high power bulbs. Should get them in a couple days. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll post a comparison pic when I install.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts