Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
So Senior, I can't Re-
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Normally I don't recommend share-ware s/w to anyone, especially on this forum. You usually get get what you pay for.

I'm impressed. This is the best freebie software I've seen for a long time. I have no relationship with this site or programmer. If your link seems to be getting slower you should try this program. (at your own risk.... yadda, yadda..... :rolleyes: )

My home connection is dial-up modem and it has been really slow. I'd been told about "spy-ware" removers but I wasn't going to buy one until I saw a real demo. The demos I checked always scanned and told me what they found but would not fix anything so I really couldn't see if they'd help. I heard about spybot but could never find it.

www.safer-networking.org is the original site. I'ts just over 4mb.

Beware of links you get by doing a Google-type search on the name "spybot" ...There lots of redirection to fake sites trying to sell something similar.

Spybot is free. :D You can make a donation if you want but, it's a full version for free. No baiting with a cut-down demo version. I may actually send the guy what the other sites want to charge.

Spybot is not a firewall. It removes spyware programs and stuff inside your system you got by simply surfing. It'll also immunize against other known threats. This does not replace the importance applying proper updates and patches for windows. Your firewall doesn't catch this stuff as it's your PC's outbound traffic that's slowing the box down.

It removes cookies, registry settings and trojan program files that slow your PC down and send info out or re-dial your modem to pay-per-use sites without your permission.

I used it and found dozens of hacks and holes in my WIN98 PC. My access through-put went up. The link speed did not go up... just the content out of my system got cleaner. It is no longer sending or wasting time trying to connect with all the destinations the trojans were directing it to go.

Ted

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
Also make sure you click the immunize button after the scan. That will stop those bots etc from reloading when you're online.

·
FFCobra Captain
3,440 Posts
2savage - It will only have done that if your pop-up zapper is on its risk list ( :eek: ). Your pop-up blocker is probably feeding advertising information, there's a lot of it about :( However, if you were perfectly happy with it, click recovery and it should return

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
There are a lot of pop-up zappers that mine the data you are zapping, report it in, and direct ads based upon that information.

Adaware 6 is another good piece of software. It catches things that spybot doesn't and vice versa.

A good pop-up/under blocker I've used in the past is called Pow from analogX. You get an ad and add its domain address to Pow's list, from there you'll never see it again.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,012 Posts
Use the recommended Spyware Blaster for added protection of spyware before it has a chance to load onto your system!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts