Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Everybody,

I went to several Nat'l Parks while on vacation like, Mesa Verde, Canyonlands, Arches, Natural Bridges, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and Zion. Plus several state parks and the meteor crater in AZ, and Juarez, MX.

We had a great time! :D The North Rim was so :cool: !! I even got attacked by a chipmonk while at the North Rim, but thats another story. :rolleyes:

The only bad thing is with the current budget cuts prices where higher and some services where no longer availible, and the park workers had to depend on voluneeters to do some of the work.

The really bad part was that the wife and kid wanted to take a mule ride into the canyon. Well, there is a 220lbs weight limit and being the big musclure guy that I am, 6'1 1/2" and 250lbs, I couldn't ride the mules. I told them they neede to get a big mule and put it on steriods for non-petite guys. :eek: :rolleyes:

I loved hiking in the canyons! I'm in pretty good shape since I workout and lift weights, but with everything being over 7,000 feet high, I did huff and puff a little.

If you've never been to the Grand Canyon, you need to go.

Paul

·
Male Member
1,873 Posts
Paul, I've seen the canyon maybe 30 times. Every time I see it my jaw drops. Only about 15% of the visitors see the north rim. Went there several times for turkey hunting. At the visitor"s center, there is a quote by some famous poet/author. Says the most beautiful 42 miles in the US is from Jacob Lake to the north rim.
You should have stopped by. We don't bite. Hard.

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy Mr Pink,

Yep, the drive to Jacob Lake is also the slowest too. In 24 miles, we counted 175 mule deer and 4 flocks of turkey w/ about 45 birds total so you had to drive real slow.

Do you know where the 8,840 foot elevation sign is? I stopped there to take a photo of the kid by the sign. The car wouldn't start because the A/C compressor locked up. I coasted all the way to Jacob Lake. A Canadain named Pierre gave me a ride to AutoZone in Mesquite, NV then, back to Jacob Lake just for gas. Talk about a nice guy!

Anyway, thats just part of the adventure.

Paul

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Several years ago my wife and I took the rafting trip through the GC from Lee's Ferry to Lake Meade. What a trip! Life-changing experience. One of many memories: When we pushed off at Lee's Ferry, the guide asked me what I was going to do with that (pointing to my wrist watch.) I said (stupidly), "I'll know when it's time to go to sleep and when it's time to get up." He thought for a minute and said, "Why not sleep when it's dark and get up when it's light?" You know, that worked!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts