Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions for those who have done the mod. I cut a 7" piece out of the 3/4 tube, ground out the center hole in the mounting plate. Mounted the lower pillow block using 3/8 spacers (temp) on the inside of the mounting plate. The questions are, How accesable is the reservoir when the body is on or do I need a bracket to change the angle of the booster/master cylinder. Any slick ideas on the design of the spacers for relocating the lower pillow block.

thanks,
gene

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Why do you want to relocate the lower pillow block?

I got the Quest MC with the Mustang booster installed and I did not have to modify anything on the pillow block!!!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
In my case the lower steering bearing bumped the booster, even though I used the donor's booster spacer (1/4") and even though I mounted the bearing on the inside of the footbox wall. I solved this by pounding a small dimple in the booster. This was recommended to me by PaulF. He took a spare booster apart and found that there was nothing in the place where the dimple was pounded so no concern for internal damage.

When I put my bearing on the inside wall, I noticed that the brake pedal bottomed against its flange, thus taking about 1/4" to 1/2" off the brake pedal travel. Be certain to check your interference if you are using a bigger bearing spacer.

Regarding access to the stock reservoir under the fender, I've heard that its not easy but is possible. Besides, how often do you need to add brake fluid?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff,
You are correct, It is a MKIII. Every thing will mock up, I just need to build a couple of brackets. One to move the lower bearing back approx. 3/8" from the plate and frab a bracket to take some of the angle off the booster/master cylinder. Small task. Just added design.
Thanks for the input. Spent the day cleaning the shop and putting everything in order so I can mess it up tomorrow.

gene

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
On my MKIII, I haved moved the booster forward 1/2 inch using some steel tube spacers.
I moved the steering shaft bearing retainer back (inside the pedal wall) 1/4 inch using some steel washers.
The booster now clears the steering shaft by 1/8 inch.
Had to clearence the shaft bearing retainer a little so that the locking collar would rotate freely beneath the booster.
The inner fender will need a hole to clear the master cylinder and I'll make a cover to go over it later to protect the m/c.
The resevoir cap is going to be hard, but not impossible, to get to. Resevoir will have to be filled with a squeeze bulb or flexible funnel. Will have to seal around the booster to pedal wall and the shaft bearing retainer to pedal wall holes with something.
The pedal assy (87-93) needs to be modified (easy) to put the shaft bearing retainer behind the pedal wall.
Also I raised the steering wheel end of the steering shaft for more legroom (1/2 inch) and I needed to modify the brkt that holds the brake light switch a little.
All told, it only took a couple of hours of staring to figure it out. I'll stare at it for a while now to see if I missed anything.
If any of you guys have any thoughts/ideas...PLEASE send them along!
Jeff

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Jeff - are you having any issue with your brake pedal bottoming on the steering shaft bearing? Mine bumps the bearing flange when the pedal is completely depressed. Probably not a big deal but it does take away the last 1/4-1/2 inch of pedal travel.

Regarding advice, I wish that I had a digital camera to make a tutorial of this mod because it is fairly easy and would be helpful to a lot of builders.

Also, thanks for your advice in earlier posts.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
DMW,
I never pushed the brake pedal that far down, figuring that with power brakes working properly the pedal may only move two inches at the most. Moving the booster forward does also pull the brake pedal forward and it rests about 3/4 of an inch behind the pedal stop bar. I will check to see if it would allow the pushrod to fall out of the booster.
I love bouncing ideas off the people on this forum. If I had a nickel for every cool idea I've seen here..........
Jeff
Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts