Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on friday night i saw for the first time my customers FFR with a 5.0 and twin turbos. he had the cobra brakes front and back and he also had the hydrobooster. it works with the power steering pump. he let me drive it in the parking lot and when i hit the brakes WOW!!!!! this thing stops by just looking at the brake pedal.

as we were talking cobras, turbos and brakes, he said the the buick Grand National came with a electric power booster. bolts right up he said and it works great. he also said its about $200 and you will have amazing braking.

anybody using this set up? anybody know about it?

thanks

luis lopezFFR1584

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
Luis,

I find it interesting that there are a lot of folks changing out their powermaster units for straight vacuum systems.

Look at the brake thread on the gntype board.

GNTYPE Board

Ben

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
There's a lot of info on the thread except where to get one of the units. Anyone have a part number or contact?

Ben

·
FFCobra Fanatic
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where do we get one and how much? oldguy668... how do you like this set up? does your car stop on a dime with not much of a pedal effort? tell us more please...

thanks

luis

·
541 Posts
I have the unit and required wire harness. New and in the box. I forget what I paid but will check tonight when I get home. If anyone's interested e-mail me: [email protected]

I'm going in another direction (again).

Greg

Thanks for the inquiries - PACKAGE IS SOLD.

[ August 01, 2002, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Cobra54 ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
I have the unit installed on my car now for about 1 month. The braking is impressive with only stock mustang fronts and turbocoupe rear discs. The amount of brake assist is alittle excessive for a FFR sized car so I installed front and rear wilwood prop valves and have got things just the way I like them now. Over the first 2 yrs and 5k miles the brakes were my weakest link as I'm sure you all agree. I then installed a shortend brake pedal and rear discs with a jeep master and was much happier but high speed braking was considerably more work than I liked now the car stops as good as my XJR with brembo's all around.
I got my master at the local independant parts store for $300 with a $50 core charge. $40for the harness and the install took only a few hrs.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
607 Posts
Part #52-9702 from Parts America. Their price was $219 when I bought mine, which included the core charge. Wiring harness can be bought from John Spina. It's plug 'n play, just tell him how long you need the positive wire. Install is fairly easy. The two mounting holes must be ovaled out about 1/8", and about 1/8" of material needs to be removed from the bottom of the large center hole. You may or may not need to notch the diagonal 3/4" tube slightly. I had to notch mine, others did not. I used the push rod from a '84 manual master cylinder, and cut it to the correct length. This let me use the stock donor brake light switch. I have it feeding stock SN95 discs front and rear without a prop valve, and I love it. I've had it on for almost two years now, and have put about 11,000 miles on it. Only problem I've had is the motor vibrated and became grounded through the mounting bracket not long after installation. I made some thicker rubber isolators and have had no more problems.

If you want John Spina's phone number and email send me an email.

David

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
I agree with Dave on the install and on the Casper electronics harness. The only thing I did different was to mount the motor to the 3/4 tube rather than notch it. The motor is connected to the master with 2 bolts I just moved the bracket to install on the 3/4 tube and it works fine. I too used the mustang pushrod with a fair amount of grinding down to size but many have used other methods with pressure switches for the brake lights.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
I chose to use the Buick pushrod, and I just adapted a pivot to my pedal shaft, after I knocked out the welded pin. I think I used 2 of the FFR spacers to give me full travel.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,021 Posts
for that amount of money buy a 110v flux core welder, a couple feet of 3/4 inch tubing and use a mustang booster

keep the welder you will use it again
keep the simplicity of an vacuum operated system that works for a short time with the engine off.

loose the electronics and extra hydraulic lines, that look messy and have the potential to leak

mustang power brakes and loving it! Cost me a extra dollar in 3/4 inch tubing. and I did not have to screw around with getting the rod out of the booster.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
Good point Gary but not an easy retrofit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.