Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I get the Coupe done after 5 + years, painted , running well- sorta. Not too much confidence since so many posts about the FAST efi 2.0 being negative. It idles well, not running rich no black smoke or fuel smell, I go for some short drives and notice that low rpms are rough and I’m getting backfires out the driver side pipes. Today I pulled the wires to the plugs and the boots on #6 and 7 have melted thru so that they are grounding to the headers which are wrapped with dei insulated wrap and ceramic coated, has anyone else had this problem?
I also can’t get a spark plug socket on the plugs due to the headers being so close. Have any of you guys dealt with these issues? I’m getting really depressed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Karl,
I have the same engine from Gordon and with over 12K miles, have not experienced the issue you describe with melted plug wires. I haven't changed the plugs for a bit, but do recall a bit of finessing required to access one or two plugs but doable. I have a variety of short and deep sockets / extensions. A combination of effort using the different types should allow you to remove the plugs with lots of patience.

I would give Gordon a call. He's super helpful in finding a solution to such problems. Good luck !

·
Senior Charter Member
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe shorty plugs?

I’ve ordered a new set of wires with 90* boots and nomex sleeves to protect them as suggested by Gordon, I can’t even get the spark plug socket onto the plugs! I’m going to have to make a special socket to get the job done. Anyone used the Accel shorty plugs?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I can’t even get the spark plug socket onto the plugs!

How did they get them in then, before the headers went on?

That's kinda wonky:surprise:

Good luck getting this done, hope it works out.

John

·
Senior Charter Member
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Custom tool

John, yup the plugs and wires were installed already when I got the engine, I didn’t even think about the angles or maintenance when I installed the headers, my recommendation is- don’t use heads with angled plugs! Very hard to service! And how much real world power difference is there?
Of course if I remove the header then access is ok, but what a pain in the ass!!!
Here’s the custom socket I modified.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
If you buy a "spark plug socket" they usually have a hex on the top of them so you can use a box/open end wrench. Also, when things are really tight with headers you can break them loose with the socket, remove the socket, and then use a length of rubber hose, like 3/8 fuel line, push it onto the ceramic of the plug and then use the rubber to spin the plug out by twisting. Getting them started on the way back in is usually the biggest challenge.

·
Snake Farmer
10,239 Posts
I used Taylor plug leads, with boots made of high temp resistant silicone. No signs of melting in 8 years. I do have the BBK ceramic coated headers, in case they make a difference.

·
Senior Charter Member
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crash , Thanks i have several of those- all hit the header before seating on the plugs😒. The angled plugs on these edelbrock heads are too close to the ffr supplied header for the coupe.

Attachments

·
Charter Member
4,717 Posts
Might help to remove the header wrap first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts