Factory Five Racing Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I have that, the end the the dash are stepped down for the Pods so there is always that gap since the dash sits on the top of the ledge.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Doors that don't fit.

I started out building FFR kit cars (all MK I Cobras back then) with Roger Stine in Jan. of 2000. Roger and I took the bodies all the way to primer (mostly for Jeff Miller to paint). I've worked on Cobras and other FFR kits through the years and the doors Never Fit from the start as well as they should (at least they improved the door hinges), fit and finish they leave to you, you'll get through it. The better the job you do the better your Cobra is going to look in the end!

Art / WireDiet.com

·
Registered
200 Posts
I feel like the doors/windows would be the point that most people break down. I also feel like people have much different ideas when it comes to something fitting or not. I agree that literally nothing fits the way it is suppose to on a GTM, but it doesn't bother me because I have a shop and experience and can easily get around most issues. I feel like lots of people get sold on the idea of a $30k supercar you can build yourself, and that is so far from the reality with these cars. Hopefully one day I can muster the motivation to finish mine.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have sort of past this now although I can go on and on, I have been seriously working on wiring and dash and instrumentation panel , I have been working with possible startup for automotive wiring system specially for after market wiring ( these are software/firmware and hardware guys working after hours for fun for last several years, lot of money spent also), sort of cool stuff and closer to production cars feel, much less wiring and programmable although programming is always more complicated than it looks, so stay tuned, may be next few months I will have it working for most part and post a video.

Thanks.

·
What's a 'n00b'?
387 Posts
When I built my FFR Roadster I thought what a great deal. I got to build 2 or 3 cars for the price of one :)

With this GTM it's not only less mature of a kit but for me I envision it with a much nicer fit and finish than I envision for the roadster. Then add on windows, air conditioning etc. and it really has been a far more difficult build.

I'm glad I did the roadster first, it was a nice stepping stone. Over the last few years I've learned some welding, 3D modeling, CNC milling, lathe work. etc. I feel like I sort of have the basic tools in place to actually tackle this.

So it's many, many years on this build for me with the car sitting idle most of that time. But man, I still think this is an awesome kit, one of the best if not the best out there but yeah, I'll have to build it 3 to 5 times and every little bit of it will be hand crafted whether I like it or not.

I share the other comment from earlier - I can't believe more parts don't fit together better. It's as if nothing is *quite* right. But they had to balance a lot of factors and they don't have 1000's of engineers working on the design and managing every little detail on every little part. I wish I were better but I'll take it as it is!

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I started this when I was in mid 50's and now in 60's, unfortunately can not slow down time, I am very busy work 10 hours day, and only weekend work is not moving this thing fast enough.

Now l Have been working on electrical which is a bit my my domain, and have added more complexity and development than I want to do but it has been a bit more fun than fitting the dashboard.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There really isn't an excuse for not correcting known fitment issues prior to marketing the car. Continuing to sell them without correcting fitment issues is worse. I'm not thinking of the common fit and finish necessary with any build. I chose not to do a GTM build because I just didn't like the way it looked, and agree with those who mentioned that the design is dated. After reading this, Im glad I went with the Cobra instead and from what I can gather, no one does Cobra replica kits better, and the FFR support is phenomenal.

Although, something came to mind after reading this. Is a chat I had with someone at FFR when I first started thinking about building. This was 8 or 9 months ago...just after the 2018 Christmas Holidays. I asked about fitment for all their cars and never got a straight or informative answer. Possibly an avoided answer. Of course, that may just be the person I spoke with and I didn't think anything of it at the time. Now I wonder.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Congrat on your decision, I personally still would have taken GTM that is just me, but glad this helps some to make decision as what they should do, GTM is a bit like marriage and not girlfriend, it is serious decision and it good to be ready for challenge and expectation heading your way.

I personally decided just to get it on the road and let the other stuff go... other wise I will be too old and not even be able to get in/out or drive this car.

Mostafa

·
Registered
188 Posts
I like the comment about Marriage. The sexy part is hard to turn down but it sure takes work to get it.

The car was 3 times harder than building the Vans RV7 airplane which had a book written by an expert and blueprints that provided straight forward information. You didn't have to guess what angle the dudes head was when he took the picture or frame of mind when he wrote the instruction. Guesswork on the GTM is wide open and wastes tremendous time. Every corner, every piece doesn't fall together as it should. Not even close in many cases. Its like a jigsaw puzzle someone chewed up and spit out on the garage floor. So you have to hand shape all the pieces to actually fit. Sometimes you just make them yourself. Finishing it is like leaving prison on parole. You're older, broke, lost a few freinds and your wife forgot who you were. Yeah, been there for all of it. Money, health, attitude, risk, family and just knowing how to become a jack of all GTM stuff for about 5 years. Thats 6000 hours it took me. Hang in there and keep pressing. It will end some day and you'll feel like you won the battle and will be happy you didn't quit the fight. Best of luck.:construction:
Front 2.jpg

Front X35.jpg

RR.jpg

Rear.jpg

41 - 49 of 49 Posts