Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think this is great discussion and hopefully it will help FFR, we need to call spade an spade and not put lipstick on a pig and call beauty queen, I do not think most of the blames is on the builders fault not by any starch of imagination.

Crash my guess is most people who have finished the GTM did not build it for tracking the car all the time but have beautiful fast car for low price and have some fun doing it but I could be wrong, could be a good pole to have.

I have had this car for over 9 years, most do not even finish GTM and sell before they even get close to end, one should ask WHY?

The fact that I am at this point should tell something that I can build and have patients, I have had very many issues but not talking about them, I just hoped one thing could be simple and it was not.. that was enough for me to called spade and not more pampering that it is all ok, it is NOT.

BTW, I have the headlight support from Shane (Another bad design by FFR but did not bring it up).

I am sure I will fell better after few more drinks this weekend and see what I am going to do with this issue!

Thanks,
Mostafa

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but I never liked this car from the very beginning, and I've been here a while. I thought the design looked dated and cheesy from day 1. Never understood who'd spend 60-90k, or more on one of these things, when for that money there are SO many other much better choices. Then you factor a major bath will be taken once you're sick of it, and are dying to unload it. Save the hassle, and build a Roadster. Or, if you want a sports car, buy a production pre-owned one, (Many great options out there) and save yourself the headache, enjoy far less depreciation, and a much higher quality product. My 2 cents on the GTM.

Will be glad when they kill it.
I can't remember the last time I saw a production car that weighed 2500 lbs. finished, does 0-60 in 3 seconds & the quarter in 11 flat with a 505HP engine, pulls 1.05g's on STREET TIRES, is very affordable to maintain, and will take the spotlight from an exotic production car when parked beside it. You may not like the styling, but comparing it to an exotic, where a tune up costs as much as an LS crate motor, is apples and oranges anyway. Drive a 3500lb. modern supercar and then the GTM, apples and oranges. One is a nanny state heavy pig and the other is a race-car with a license plate. I don't have ABS, stability control, traction control electronics. They are built into my hands and feet, that's how I like it. There are many reasons for building a car like this for people who wouldn't buy a production car.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think this is great discussion and hopefully it will help FFR, we need to call spade an spade and not put lipstick on a pig and call beauty queen, I do not think most of the blames is on the builders fault not by any starch of imagination.
I've been shaming this cars flaws for years to no avail. They aren't going to fix it, it'll be discontinued and then they'll move on. (would have been perfect for a re-body) I hope they make the new 65 coupe re-body on cad cam and do it right.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sorry here I go again, more disike,

why do the dash Pod not fit? what I am doing wrong, they seem to be larger by half to 1 inch. really no excuse for this fit either.

Thanks for help.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had the same issue. I had to pull back the vinyl on the outer edges of the pods on both sides (much worse on the driver side) and cut the thick plastic back and then recover with the vinyl. This was mainly where the round steel tube on the outer edge fits into the pod. This allowed me to be able to fit them in place. I feel your pain. Hang in there!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did you epoxy the fiberglass back? or did you just cut area around the tubbing?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
P.S. Also I seem to have an issue on the pass side toward the center council hitting the panels on the lower left, since these panel stick out on pas side.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just cut the edge of the pods around the tubing area. I didn’t have any issues with the central part near the console .

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Have you placed the doors and the door panels? I have heard the side will hit the door panels, but can not check since my door are off the car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Yes, my interior is completed. I didn't have an issue with the pods impacting the doors, but it is close. The pod "flexes" a bit where the door and pod come together, so if its too tight the pod should give a bit to allow the door to close.

I also removed a little bit of pod material where the outer edge of the driver side pod extends under the windshield. I was worried that it would prohibit the windshield from seating tight, but after I installed the glass it looks like it would have fit alright, but would have been very close. I'm sure each GTM is a bit different in fit depending on how the body sits on the frame.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I don't hate the GTM, but has anyone ever noticed this??
I'm redoing the doors and I was finishing up the passenger side and found myself more than 10mm off! I couldn't figure out what I did wrong.
So I measured the sculpting on the doors...
Here's the driver's side, 73mm high at the door handle cutout :

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181104/ia5eg4bl.jpg

And here's what threw me off... Here's the passenger side with the caliper still measuring 73mm...

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/181104/dyx92ogs.jpg

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Beeman, I hate see I will say once get to doors may be in few weeks.
My issue with some of these are, these are simpler fits and should fit better, FFR should have had some alignments points that will make thing go together easier.

Keith, my pass side pod was also 1/2 wider than left, so had to cut it and now have to epoxy back, clean sand re lather, just all PIA.

·
Registered
273 Posts
My doors were also off from one side to the other. I can’t remember now whether it was the driver side or the passenger side but one of them was more narrow by I think 3/4 of an inch which caused issues with window fitment and bodywork issues. It does seem like a lot of these things should have been dealt with at the production level.

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
I'm not making excuses because I do feel all of your pains, but you have to remember that the GTM was hand sculpted and this is why things are not quite right. FFR now has access to a body router, so if they wanted to fix these issues it would be as simple as scanning the GTM body, cutting it in half, mirroring the side that has the best qualities, and then the new molds and bodies would be symmetrical. Will they ever do this? I have no idea. It seems they are not that hot on "upgrading" the GTM, but you never know. I think if they fixed the bodywork issues and found a good solution to the transaxle costs, the GTM would be a much more popular kit.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Not even looking for best quality, just want it to fit, I have lost count now how many time I have had the dash in and out, the side Pods in and out, still nothing close to high quality fit or just fit, the manual does not say anything about these and I wish it did then I would not be doubting what I am doing wrong.

I started this about 8 years ago, got supper busy with work, last year decided I have everything expect paint and interior, painted the car, read the manual on interior, was only hand full of pages so thought ok that should be fast, but it has been disappointing experience.

I am definitely past my hate for GTM.:|

·
Registered
549 Posts
Are most of these issues with the Gen 1?
I don't recall having these issues with either of my Gen 2'S.
An easy/simple fix for the left door is to slice the bottom of the door and add about a 1" filler to widen the thickness of the door.
in order for the doors to have side impact safety bars and have the windows go all the way down, I fabricated new door frames, took only a few hours and cost about $100...

The GTM kit is not for everyone!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have Gen 1, so may be Gen 2 better in some area.

I really do not have shop or lots of room

The fact they you say it was so easy to make the window goes all the way down says something, why didn't FFR do that, it does not make sense. the most basic need.

Also how does the front for the dash get placed? it just float there, what did you guys do for that?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,001 Posts
The front of the dash sits on top of the flange of the body. It does not need to be fastened down to the body.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It is sort of loose a bit, does not move side way, but does move up and down a bit amy be 1/8 is smoe area.

·
Premium Member
10,001 Posts
Do you have the cowl propped up with the wiper box with bulb seal on it? If your dash is not sitting solidly on the body flange, it sounds to me like the body is too low.....

21 - 40 of 49 Posts