Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've been working on my cockpit panels and everything has lined up and fit relatively well. Then I got to the "A" shaped lower firewall. It lines up perfectly on the drivers side. The passenger side not so much. The mounting tab and the inside wall of the footbox only overlap by 3/8" at the top. To me this seems like the rivet hole will be to close to the edges and will pull through. Any thoughts or suggestions? Has anyone else run into this issue.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
6,296 Posts
I remember that piece very well. It took a lot of finagling to get it in and it still wasn't perfect. Get it as close as you can then use aluminum tape on any gaps.

Frank

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
What Frank said ^. I had to do a bunch of massaging on that part, but once was eventually able to get it there. You may want to try and make a template out of stiff cardboard, first copying the original, then bending the template as necessary to get it to fit. Then, you just have to transfer those bends to the aluminum panel.

·
Master Student
1,499 Posts
I remember that piece very well. It took a lot of finagling to get it in and it still wasn't perfect. Get it as close as you can then use aluminum tape on any gaps.

Frank
X2
And silicone... I used Cleco's to get everything lined up first. Drill, cleco, massage, drill, cleco, massage repeat until its in place. Then take it apart, silicone it, cleco it and install rivets as you remove clecos. Then use aluminum tape and let it dry.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
dont over think it, get them the best you can and move on...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've drilled and cleco'ed everything so far, but this once is driving me insane. I keep telling myself "no one will ever see it" but it is still driving me crazy! I'm going to be out of town with work until Sunday, I'm hoping to make peace with it by then so I can drill it and move on.

·
Chief Cook and Bottlewasher
1,396 Posts
Massage? I think Doug meant "Malletize." A small piece of extra aluminum can also help fill gaps and give you enough metal to feel good about the rivets holding well.

Nothing in the world is perfect. Once you get past that, do what you have to do. Silicone and aluminum tape are your friends.

Steve

·
Registered
788 Posts
X3...or 4. That part was tough for me as well. Hammer, grinder, cutter.....whatever if takes to get as best you can. Silicone, rivet, move on. No one has mentioned it since. Don't worry, you will have bigger fish to fry later on in the build. Wiring was mine.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think to say do not over think it is not the right way to go about building these cars unless you truly do not care what the final product will look like. If a square peg doesn't fit into a round hole then something imaginative has to be done. Silicone and aluminum tape is not the answer for all ill fitting problems. My panel was so bad that I could get only one side buttoned up while the other was doing its own thing. Take your time and do the build properly and don't cut corners. Nothing worse then after it is all done to look at the panel and think if I only spent a little extra time to get it right. EVERY aspect of our Cobra builds are important and to cut corners or be lazy at any point is just wrong. If you are in a hurry then you are just going to end up with a mediocre build quality.

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
I've drilled and cleco'ed everything so far, but this once is driving me insane. I keep telling myself "no one will ever see it" but it is still driving me crazy! I'm going to be out of town with work until Sunday, I'm hoping to make peace with it by then so I can drill it and move on.

Great idea... some of my best work on a challenging part was done after some time away from the project to think it through. The clarity that absence can provide sometimes is the difference between a well done solution and a hack-job.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Simple solution, for me, was to cut that piece in half. I got each side set and riveted the way it is supposed to be including modifications to both the drivers and passengers side wall. I then made up a thicker piece that fits over the whole center section and has a tab that holds/supports the top transmission cover along its top front edge. You will see the split from the engine compartment, if you look for it, but it will be well sealed with silicone and rivets.

If that is your only problem consider yourself lucky. I have the first Mk4 to leave FFR and I had to massage a lot of aluminum pieces into place.

George

·
Registered
926 Posts
Well, it’s nice to hear others have had the same problem with this as I did. I’m not glad you all had troubles, I just thought it was the way I put mine together that I might have missed something somewhere. I wound up making a pattern out of the original and then adding / subtracting where needed and making a new one. I was pretty happy with the one I built and on it went. Not perfect, but a lot better than the one that came with the car.
Good luck with your little challenge here.
:banghead:

·
Senior Charter Member
6,409 Posts
...And The Beat Goes On...

This thread is another example, both because the question was asked and because it was answered in several different ways, of how the build quality is going up in the FFR arena.

Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm definitely going to make a new panel. Otherwise I think it will always bother me. I've got to figure out how to do the bends. I made a bending brake but it won't work on the opposing bends that this piece will require.

Joey

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I think that's part of the problem with the tranny horse-shoe piece, that's a complicated set of bends. Might be better to make 2 pieces.

·
Sno B Gone!
3,183 Posts
dont over think it, get them the best you can and move on...
What he said... You should try working on the Coupe's interior aluminum.. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.