Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a guy weld together 2 fittings I had. Now that they are welded together, I can't get the sender that's supposed to screw into the top of the fitting past 2 threads....seems like the welding caused the threads to tighten up.

What do I do to get my sender to go into the fitting as it should?

·
Orbiting FFCobra.com
778 Posts
You might try running a tap down through there to see if you can tap it out.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
And remember to use plenty of cutting oil (if thats what its called) when you run the tap. Take it out after every few turns and clean it.

YOu dont want to have your tap getting stuck, trust me.... When its jammed and you try to get it out, it might break. And the steel is so hard that you wont get it out.

Exactely this thing happened when I first used a tap. I didnt have anyone to teach me, but at least I learned from that mistake!

·
Junior Charter Member
1,336 Posts
and don't forget some sensors use NPTF thread or NPT thread which is not compatible with most bolt thread.

Nick

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice...especially that last bit of info.

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
Also, it may be distorted due to heat. Before running a NPT tap through it, make sure it's round. Oval holes will tap very nicely, but may not seal well.

·
6,546 Posts
The senders that screw into the intake on a SBF are 3/8" NPT.

If your "fittings" aren't NPT (National Pipe Thread) they won't work or at least won't work properly.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got it fixed.

The fitting was something that I was going to put in place of the low oil sender. I got the one from the guys here on the forum (which looked great) but it was made for mechanical guages...I have electronic guages.

I used a tap and put it in. It looks round...I think it just had some weld spatter in the threads, because it tapped very easily. If I have a puddle in the floor, I know where it will be coming from.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts