Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Big Kahuna
Joined
·
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy am I tired. But what a great day to work on the donor. I t was clear, and I don't think it got above 80 all day.

So to bring you guys up to date, I still could not get the passenger side trailing arm bolt to come out.

So I pulled the cover(Traction lock! way cool), pulled the thingy, got the c clip out, pulled the axle, and took off the drum brake assembly so I could get right at the bolt.

I tried a punch and 3lb hammer. Nothing.

I tried a punch and a 5lb hammer. Nothing.

I took the 5lb hammer and wacked the bolt a few times. It did move, but it simply pushed out the mount point on the other side.

So I have concluded that the sleeve for the bushing is frozen to the bolt, and is spinning as well when I impact wrench it.

I have used a whole can of PB on this one part........

HELP!!!!!!

On a good note, the engine is out, steering is out, and I am working on brake stuff, pedal box, and electrical tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for the support and encouragement.
 

·
Big Kahuna
Joined
·
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick,

I didn't go as far as a torch.

I think what i am going to do is hammer it one way, cut off the excess bolt, and then hammer it the other way and cut off the excess bolt. That should make the bolt short enough that it will fall out....
 

·
Charter Member
Joined
·
870 Posts
Used torch,hammer and air chisel,finally went through your cutting process along with big pry bar.End result ,was removed front Lower control arm and 2 butterfly stitches on my right hand when the pry bar slipped and I got razored on a rusty front fender edge...
Just be carefull
Eric.
 

·
Junior Charter Member
Joined
·
984 Posts
bstuke:
Getting the bolts out of the rear lower control arms was the hardest part of the tear down of my donor. They were rusted in there - nothing was going to get them out. Access in that area is difficult at best. I ended up cutting out portions of the floor of the donor to get better access to the bolts - air chisel one way, cut, air chisel the other, cut and then finally came out.

good luck!

Greg
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Hoofa....lend him your Sawzall. :D

c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
This was the only problem I had with my donor tear down,tried everything, ended up taking it to the shop and used the plasma cutter.
 

·
Big Kahuna
Joined
·
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Charlie C:
Hoofa....lend him your Sawzall.
I didn't think of that. I got one of those.

Glad to hear I am not alone.
 

·
FFCobra Fanatic
Joined
·
985 Posts
Sawzall and smoke wrench were the most used tools on my donor. 15 years of Wisconsin salted winters are better than anything Locktite has come up with. Get bandaids ready and attack the pedal box. Good luck!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,650 Posts
I used a sawsall. First I cut the arm in half (replacing with tubular) and I needed to move it for final demo. Then I cut the bolt head on one side and nut on the other. Even that didn't work. I ended up carefully cutting between the mounting ears on the rearend and arm on both sides and it finally came out. Of course all of that was a waste of energy. The rear end was in a junk yard car and it was toast. I ended up buying a new one after all that work!
 

·
Jack of all trades - expert at nothing
Joined
·
4,395 Posts
Since the God of Fire, the next best thing is the God of Sawzall!

If you can't get at it - keep cutting til ya can.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top