Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
section 8
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings guys and girls . what do I need to do to keep the plug wires from leaving there intended locations??? 4 or 5 times now 1-2 or more have left the plugs . I have adjusted the crimp at the plug end of the wire tight. There is no strain on the wires. They just fall off the plugs . I hear and feel them snap onto the end of the plug , pull on them and they feel tight . Butt.... every so often .. aaaauuughhh . thoughts , wisdom from the ancients all will be accepted read through and tried sans gluing them on .. Thanks all Bob

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Bob, there has been someone going around and stealing chrome trim rings off lights as well as regapping plugs. I suggest you may be a victim of the same thief. Sorry.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
You need to "burb" the plug boots. Use a cotter pin removal tool or other blunt tipped hook tool and with the boot on the plug end slide the tool into the end of the boot and give it a twist to let the air out.

No, I am not joking. This is usually only needed at the distributor cap, but some wires it is needed at the plug end as well...

HTH...
Mark

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
i agree on the air gap
it can happen with just a bit of dielectric grease causes a air gap, i normally push them on and then pull them off and give them a second snap

oops damn beer makes me "BURb" excuse me "burp":001_smile:
happy wrenching

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Bob, what plug wires are you using? OEM Ford?
I used Taylor form the get-go, and haven't had any issues with them, (even using dielectric grease in them). Perhaps Taylor have a better cap in the plug boot than others?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,218 Posts
Maybe a switch to a modular motor with coils over plug that bolt on. ;)

Usually once they snap on and a couple heat cycles the boots kinda weld themselves on so if your electric connection snaps they are on for good. Can you slid boot up wire and snap end on plug sliding boot down after? That may give you a visual of what is going on.

·
section 8
5,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent I forgot about the burping thing . Years ago I had some that fell off . I went back to the speed shop to whine and Fabio asked if I burped them! I am a professional mechanic or at least thats what the paper says. Thieves ? could be rodents pretty secluded here. I'm on napa wires for a couple reasons #1 I've used the newer blue ones for years on customers cars for years with above average results#2 lifetime warranty . I have had 3 different brands these fit the best and seem to stay on the best. Last , as soon as a have a spare 8k I'll score a coyote! Thanks all buuurp!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.