Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ultimate leap of faith!!! With only a couple of trips around the block under my belt, I loaded my wife in the
and set off on a 120 mile journey to get my vin # attached. It was a beautiful day, although a little overcast and nothing like what tomorrow and the rest of the week are predicted to be, for the test. Ran smooth all the way with only a minor hiccup :eek: when I hit some "city" traffic and forgot to turn on the fan. What a gas!!!!!! As expected, I did turn up a few "shakedown" issues but hey, I've always said this is a project that will never end.... I still can't believe I did it.... First outing of any consequence and it was 120 miles!!! What a high. NOw I can get my license and be street legal
Thanks guys for all your help....

·
Banned
496 Posts
Congrats! I remember that first drive to get the VIN, but mine was only about 10 miles each way. Still was a blast even in gelcoat. Enjoy and be careful.

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's true, there was a shorter way, and a "snakier" road to boot, but staying on the highway ment easy access to cell towers, "just in case". After all, I had a lot of faith in my abilities but there were limitations......

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Congrats, that is a great feeling! I added a thermal fan switch in the intake and it is worth it. When my wife or close friends drive they don't have to worry about anything but staying on the road :D Still have the manual switch but use it rarely. I'm at the first 1,000 miles with no issues and don't want to pull the body back off for paint :(

Eric

·
Senior Charter Member
1,623 Posts
120 mile shakedown cruise...now that is gutsy! Glad it all worked out for you, including the weather. Congratulations!

Tom

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Eric, I may be in the same boat as you as I'm in primer (gray) but I did paint stripes (scarlet of course). Definatly going to look into the thermal fan switch...

Thanks Tom, it was really neat to say, "mission accomplished".

·
Registered
318 Posts
I just took an 800 mile trip to visit my mother. She gave me a squash, which I put in the trunk. It rolled out of the bag and bounced off of my inertia switch, stopping my fuel pump. Other than that, no problems. I'm almost up to 6,000 miles and still not painted (not even scarlet stripes).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.