1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Uber-Geek
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*sigh* I built my own wiring harness.
I did my own body work.
I did my own paint.
But do you think I can get these windows installed in my APE top? Not a chance. This is my 7th try, at about 5 hours an attempt. The top has been sitting in my garage for over a year - *almost* finished because of this - is there someone in SoCal that has the magic fingers that can help me out ? :(

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
I gave up on mine, too and had a professional do it. He opted to use a differnt style rubber and it slipped in like an old shoe. Some things are better left to those that know how.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Mike,

The trick is to place the weatherstripping in a pot of hot water to soften them up, take them out just before your going to use them. Next, you need a small ball of twine impregnated (don't go there) with liquid soap. With the assistance of a friend, place the rubber seal around the opening and place the glass in on one end with the twine going through the opening...While putting some pressure along the rubber seal and the glass, slowly pull on the twine so that it rolls the rubber back and around the edge of the glass. It may take you a few minutes to get the hang of it, but once you do, the rest will go fairly smoothly........I use the same technique on the front glass of Triumph TR6's with wonderful results.......

Hope you find this helpful.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
We have them done by a glass guy for $50 bucks or less. They have the tools and it takes about 20 minutes. The key is to get the glas and the gasket oriented correctly. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
Used to own a glass shop....if you can get the top here I'll pop them in for you...da Bat

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
Baumann,
Two years...that's how long I went without a rear window. Then again, that was in S. Florida. I finally got it put in with the help of a friend who has done this several times. Thing is, I took it to an expert and after keeping the top a week he gave it back sans the rear window. Worst thing I ever tried to do myself on my car!
Take care,
Ron

·
Uber-Geek
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yo - Batman I'll take you up on that one! I'll need directions to your humble abode however. Name your libation of choice.

methinks you'll be doing a little swearing though... I did forget to mention - my top is vinyl covered..

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
vinyl, leather, spandex ;) ....It's all good. As far as swearing, who's gonna know the diff....32610 Los Encinos, Temecula Ca, 92592...951-676-0191.....oh yeah, if you use words like "abode and libation" you'll be thrown out of the cave (I'm very sensitive about my body parts).Last guy that said my "epidermsis" :eek: was showing got a right cross in the mandible. :rolleyes:

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
Hmm... sounds like everyone has had problems getting that rear glass in. I didn't find it exactly easy, but it's doable. It just takes 2 people to do it right. My dad was doing quite a bit of swearing until I arrived and then it took us about 10 minutes to do it. One person has to hold the glass/rubber in place once you pop one side in, while the other person slides the other end of the glass carefully into the rubber. We used a duct-tape-wrapped bit of aluminum to push/lever the 'locking lip' of the rubber closed.

Simple to do, it just takes 2. (did i rhyme that?) :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Will

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
jeeez willspeed, ya don't have to go all Longfellow on us. :( Trying hard to keep this one in the gutter

·
Charter Member
1,766 Posts
Not for sensitive eyes, but I think libation is a corruption of lying and masturbation. Sort of like when you were a kid out with your buds and came on to a girl, but got turned down... ,but told them that you hadn't. :rolleyes: And the predictable result...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts