Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After only 25 years of service, my Sears floor jack developed a leak and my local parts store only has hydraulic fluid in 5 gallon pails. Can I use something else like ATF or brake fluid?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I have a log splitter and a front loader/back hoe. For these, I have purchase Hydraulic fluid at Home Depot, Kobota dealer, and Auto Parts stores in 1 and 5 gallon jugs/pails. Might want to look in the local yellow pages under hydraulics or tractors, then call around.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Mike,

I was working with my 25 year old craftsman 2 ton jack 2 years ago and it had slowly worked worse and worse. I determined that the fluid was low. I have no hydrolic fluid and being basically too lazy and cheap to go find some, I put in what was in the garage. Used brake fluid. Anyone with a racecar has lots of used brake fluid. It's worked fine for the last 2 years.

·
Premium Member
17,842 Posts
Get a new jack. If an exterior seal is leaking, the interior seals are not far behind. A good jack is so cheap, there's no reason to keep rebuilding the old one. Unless it's one of those really big expensive ones.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
ATF will work, thats what is used in most hydraulic systems such as plows, dump hoists etc.

For the $$ you can probably get a new much better jack for $75.

·
Charter Member
656 Posts
I think my local parts store has little bottles for a few bucks. I agree with others, though. If it's leaking very fast at all, start shopping for a new one.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,096 Posts
I have a 25 year old sears jack that has probably slowly leaked for 10 years now. It just needs a few ounces every year or so. I found a one quart bottle of jack oil at my local parts store years ago. You might also try Wally World.

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
18,090 Posts
Don - that was funny....
Actually they could have pee'd in it and it would have probably worked. Hydraulics aren't really that finicky unless they are subject to extremely high pressures or temperature variations. FWIW - I've used brake fluid on occassion and it works well..

·
Charter Member
1,766 Posts
Well, before we "Ran from Iran" a number of years ago the locals used to like to substitute water in helicopter drives. Didn't work too well tho. Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts