Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody once posted some info about a Cobra hardtop that did not have the hump for the roll bar. Does anyone recall a source for that top?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
KingCobra's top has a small blister-type hump to clear the rollbar, like the Gurney-bump in the racing Ford GT-40's. APE's hardtop has two curves to the top contour that clear the rollbar, kind of like the top contour you see on a Viper removeable hardtop, or the new Aston Martin Zagato. I don't know about any other commercially available hardtops for FFR's. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
John:

Have ordered the FFR convertible top for my 65'.
Questions about the Hardtop: Does the APE Hardtop require that I drill more holes (yuk!!!) in order to be able to switch between the two tops??? It it very difficult to mount and dismount??? I also have the passenger side rollbar option and the street performer seats. Any tonneau cover would have to be modified to accommodate both, thus the reason for the convertible top and it also does allow me to drive the car in the wet Spring and Fall. Thanks in advance for your response.

alc

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
Oldguy...

When I was at the FFR Factory just before DVSFII I noticed a hardtop on the floor. I asked Mark Weber about it and he said they are working on a new one. It will come with shorter roll bars. The top had no bubble or blister on it and it was more streamlined.

Mike

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Does the APE Hardtop require that I drill more holes (yuk!!!) in order to be able to switch between the two tops??? It it very difficult to mount and dismount??? I also have the passenger side rollbar option and the street performer seats.
You don't have to drill any holes for the APE top, it's help on by two removeable clamps (one behind each door) and header clamps that use holes already tapped in the windshield frame to hold a small tab. The top is very light, I think about 35 pounds, and easy to take on and off...I did it many times by myself, and the whole process can't take more than 5 minutes including clamping everything up. It will clear the passenger rollbar, as a couple of guys here have them set up that way. Street Performer seats MAY interfere with the placement of the top clamps behind the door, since the seats come over so far to the side. I think that could be handled easily by flipping the clamps upside down, but haven't tried it myself. I don't want to sound like a commercial here, I'm just relating my own experience with my APE top in my old car. Good luck!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Wayne, thanks for putting up that pic of me defending myself from that ruffian Russ Thompson. I think it's plain to see whose car is cooler!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Thanks Mike! I found people either dig em or hate em. I love them, too, but my wife thinks not.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
John:
Thanks for your reply. The ideal situation would be to have both, store the soft top in the trunk and travel with the hard top on when going for a long trip. Now I just have to find the $$$ or maybe I could put it on my wish list and Santa will bring me one for Christmas. Nice flames.......

alc

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
James, I'd expended all my energy driving...and trashing Russ' times, so it was easy for him to sneak up on me from the front with that strangle hold. I thought he was coming to shake hands to congratulate me for beating him so soundly!

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
RUSS, YOU FIEND! I gotta tell ya, memory is the SECOND thing to go. I forget what's first, I'll ask Lynn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.