Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well! Had the pleasure to go on another Street Rodder Magazine Road Tour in HRL with 90+ Roadtourians on a 7 day trip ending at the 2012 SEMA Show. This was our 3rd such trip with Jerry Dixie and as usual a trip to remember! This was the largest group Street Rodder had ever assembled and the group was very diverse and a good time was had by all! I flew into LA and Dad had HRL ready for the 1000 mile trip and I had the opportunity to take some pics with Mom's beautiful Roses and then off on a short cruise to the fabulous Neathercutt Museum in Sylmar California, which is a Must see for any car nut! After a Private tour we then made the short cruise across town to the Galpin Autosports private collection where snacks were served with the rare opportunity to view a special collection. Thursday would end at the host hotels in Burbank with lots of bench racing and prepping for Fridays activities.
More to Follow!
Dr. Ruth:icon18:

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Lucky you ! ... BTW. I will be in PHX from Tuesday afternoon for 8 nights. We'll attend the NASCAR race that weekend ... aside of other cool things ...

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day 2 NHRA and Hollywood Hot Rods

Started day 2 with a 45 minute drive to the Wally Parks NHRA Museum at the Pomona Fairplex with about half of our Roadtourions. We enjoyed the museum and had lunch in the parking lot with our own little Car Show. After lunch we headed back towards Burbank and Hollywood Hot Rods for our late afternoon visit. Troy Ladd, the owner, is well known for his retro style Hot Rods and today's shop tour proved to us that the mag stories are a true representation of his unique style. He has in process a Forty ish Packard that is a work of art and I am sure we will see more on it in the future! His crew built the 40 Ford coupe that Jerry has driven all summer on the Road Tours and it is a beauty with a mild 1" chop and a Ford Coyote powerplant. We spotted a shop next door that looked like a step back in time so we just walked over to check things out and we found the Mother Load! More on that tomorrow!
Dr. Ruth :icon18:

Attachments

·
Junior Charter Member
709 Posts
Kai

Plan a trip to Sedona while you are in the area.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Old Crow

Sorry for the delay Guy's! I have been swamped and sick and working on a project that has required a lot of my time.
The second day of the Road Tour as stated was to finish at Hollywood Hot Rods but some of us found the Shop from Heaven just next door!
It is called Old Crow Speed Shop and is owned by Bobby Green, Bobby has a incredible collection of rare early Ford speed equipment, as well as fuel drop tanks, aka Belly tanks, old race cars, art, and all sorts of motorized stuff from the old days. Most of the people on the tour, including myself and Dad had never heard of Old Crow.We were in awe of the step back in time and were ever so happy to have the chance to experience this collection.
After an hour of Time Travel it was time for reality as a few of us headed 2 miles down the road to the original Burbank Bobs Big Boy for the Local Friday Night Cruise. The problem was we did not get there at 3:00 to get a space and there was no place to park within blocks so we called it a night, The reality of LA! Sure Glad I am From There!
Dr. Ruth

Attachments

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Da Beach

It was the 3rd day of the tour and our numbers keep building! Today's travels take us south from Burbank to the Peterson Museum in Hollywood where about half of us had the opportunity to check out this facility started with a grant from The Peterson family. They have many cool cars in realistic settings and you can spend hours there!
Our next stop was 20 minutes south to Scott Bonowski's Hot Rods & Hobbies. Scott and his crew did the body and paint on this years Road Tour 40 that Hollywood Hot Rods assembled. Scott is actually the painter at his beautiful 20 thousand foot facility and he is one of the Best!
After a few hours we all headed to Huntington Beach the home of Surf City Garage. Surf City Garage is a car detailing products company that specializes in products for the Hot Rod enthusiast. We had a gathering at the corporate headquarters that just blew everyone away! The offices are all Beech motif and there is a collection of about 40+ Muscle cars to ogle at!
After some eats there we all headed to the Hotel for the evening bench racing.
Dr. Ruth

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Question

Dan...looks like you had a great tour and a lot of fun. Since you were able to do a lot of driving with HRL I was wondering if you were pleased with the performance of your new top design? Have you been caught in a rain storm yet? The car is a real head turner great job!

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan...looks like you had a great tour and a lot of fun. Since you were able to do a lot of driving with HRL I was wondering if you were pleased with the performance of your new top design? Have you been caught in a rain storm yet? The car is a real head turner great job!
I have yet to drive the car in any rain and feel there is no doubt that some rain will come in at the wing vents at speed.We found our new top to have far less wind noise and that horrible droan noise experienced with the FF Top.
People dig it!
Dr. Ruth

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day 4

As posted on the HRL thread our day started with a breakfast cruise and Car Show in Tustin California. Most of the Roadtour participants attended and HRL Won Best of Show. Quite an Honor and a great way to start the day!
After awards presentations we all headed towards Hwy 1 aka PCH and south towards our next stop in North San Diego county. We totally enjoyed the coastal route as we just cruised along with about a half dozen cars.Our next stop was a private viewing of The Miniature Craftsman Museum. None of us knew what to expect but once inside we were Blown Away! This 10 thousand foot building houses miniature cars,airplanes and boats and miniature engines that actually RUN!
We spent a couple of hours looking at these incredible works of art and then headed to our layover in Escondido. The Holiday Inn was full with all of our cars and we ended up bonding with some Canadians on our tour.
Great Times!
Dr. Ruth

Attachments

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hot Rodders ROCK

Day 5 started with a 7:00 am drivers meeting as this day would be our furthest distance in a day on the trip. We were all heading to a Ranch up in the hills east of Escondido for a real old fashion Country Breakfast.
When I started HRL she ran a little ruff and smelled very rich but I figured that something had stuck an injector and it might clean out. We headed down the road and it got worse so we pulled off and decided to check things out. Sure thing, raw fuel was pouring out the right tailpipe, what's up?
I googled the local Napa store which was only 1/2 mile down the same street we were on and we headed there to by an injector. We took it apart in the parking lot and while working on it a clean cut young man in a Bad Ass Hemi Barracuda drove up and offered assistance, as it would work out the Napa store had no injectors but the guy with the Barracuda worked for a Hot Rod Shop there in Escondido and was on a test drive and saw a Hot Rodder in distress and offered to help! Chris Kienitz (our Knight in shinning armor) works for a First class shop owned by Randy Clark that has 3 locations in Escondido and employs about 30 people, Hot Rods & Custom Stuff is there name and they have turned out some very cool stuff over the years which have included Street Rodder cover cars and cars assembled for the Road Tour. Chris needed to return from his test drive so he sent a delivery driver to pick me up and take me to a buddies shop to get an injector. The guy at the shop would not let me pay for the rebuilt injector and life just kept getting Better!
I installed a new spark plug and injector in the #2 cylinder and it ran the same so we limped over to Hot Rods & Custom Stuff for further diagnosis. Chris took a bore camera and looked in #2 and low and behold we had a broken piston that resulted in 40 lbs. of compression and the no burn issue. After a little deliberation we decided to call the trip a wash and figure out a way to get back to LA to get a truck and trailer to recover HRL. The acts of Kindness continued to flow as Mark (Manager) of the shop let us store HRL overnight and he gave us a ride to the Metro station were we secured Amtrak travel back to LA. Neither one us had ever taken the train so it was a cool trip along the Pacific Coast that we thoroughly enjoyed.
We returned the next day to retrieve HRL and Randy's Team would not take a Dime! What can I say! Hot Rodders ROCK!!!!
Many Thanks to Randy Clark of Hot Rods & Custom Stuff
Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.