Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im in the process if building my motor back up its a stock 302 ho out of a 88 gt. im replacing the pistons and bored it over 30. using the stock everything except im going carb. anyone know what numbers i should get. im puting in kb hyper light weight pistons..

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
I would guess about 10-20% increase in power over the 302 since you are just increasing cubic inches by that amount. Not sure if the carb will affect those numbers - I'm sure it will in some way - just not sure how.
Curious as to why you would do a 331 but leave the heads and cam stock?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just wanted to freshen it up and the side walsl were notched so i had to bore it. i didnt want to put owell. later on ill upgrade the cam and heads

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Mustang 5.0 with all smog, mufflers... is rated at 225hp (at least my 1994 yr is). Pipes and headers may be an easy 50 hp. So, I guess, maybe 300hp ish with pipes and headers and a 30 over.

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Jeremy - understood, but the stock Mustang 302 is 100hp less?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
You guys are talking Apples and Oranges, Ford Racing crate engine is flywheel H.P. with carb'd induction and the stock Ford rating is rear wheel. Most 5.0's that I have seen in stock form make about 200-205HP at the rear wheels on Mustang Dyno at sea level and cool air.

As an example I had a 1985 Mustang GT and it made 202HP at the wheels stock- non A/C car.
Additions of
------------------------------------------
1.7 RR's
Edelbrock Performer intake
Underdrive pulleys
electric fan
H-pipe w/cats -stock 85's had a poor exhaust design- it required a new crossmember.
---------------------------------------------
After mods it made 248HP at the wheels, this was a real low compression engine.

Michael S.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Manufacturers do not quote rear wheel HP. They quote HP at the flywheel with all accessories and smog equipment. The Ford Racing crate engines are quoted with no accessories, no smog and a carb.

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Originally posted by Scott_VA:
Manufacturers do not quote rear wheel HP. They quote HP at the flywheel with all accessories and smog equipment. The Ford Racing crate engines are quoted with no accessories, no smog and a carb.
I agree. A truly stock 5.0 lays down about 195-200rwhp (give or take 5rwhp). At 195 rwhp through a T5 the flywheel HP would be a hair under 230HP. With a factory rating of 225 I think we can assume Ford's rating is a fairly accurate flywheel number.

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
The Mustang Hp as quoted by Ford is with all of the gack they put on the engine, like Cads, muffler, mellow cam, smog pump, PS, is a different beast than the Ford Racing 302! I con only imaging there are many improved parts on the FMS 302, like cam, maybe heads, intake?...

Ford specked my 94 Mustang 5.o @ 225HP!

I love this stuff! How about some more HP guesses!

Rich

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
Rich

I had a 94' GT. I have sales literature from both 94 and 95. The 94-95' Mustang GT 5.0 engine advertised HP is 215 down from 225 the year earlier. Thats at the flywheel with water pump exhaust etc. Ford changed the intake and some other things between 93-94.
In either 93' or 94' (different body styles) Ford also revised how it rated HP which further confused the issue.

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
No worries John, It's my Chiltons that is saying 225hp, we are close enough! How much HP do you think Robert Mccabe will make?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,051 Posts
A well tuned carb with a good dual plane intake and either aftermarket shortie or 4 into 4s should give at least 40-50 more hp at the crank I would think. So about 265-275HP. Good heads AFR165's would be 75 or more on top of that.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
A 331 can get at least 330-345HP at the crank. I still have an article from M&FF magazine about a 331 that was in the 400hp range w/carb. It just comes right-sizing your bolt-on parts(heads, cam, intake and carb) to get there. But as mentioned, what you get at the wheels is what counts. Much of that will depend upon the rear end ratio, tranny ratio's, tire size and anything else that the V-belt (or serpentine belt) needs to be turn.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
289FIA_Cobra - you missed the part of the thread where he isn't really building a 331, it's a .030-over 302 with stock heads and cam.

Steve

·
Senior Charter Member
1,665 Posts
With stock heads and cam, a good dual plane intake and carb my guess is that you'll get to 250 or 260.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.