Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought new to me reman. calipers for the rear s/n 95 I would now like to prime and paint them. Can anyone give me ideas for getting the oil off of the calipers from the reman. process. I am concerned about chemicals that might attack the rubber seals, could I use good old brake cleaner or does it leave a residue that paint will not stick too? Also if I buy auto zone type rotors should I prime and paint the non-pad surfaces?

·
ASE Tech & Shop Teacher
1,936 Posts
Yeah, brak-leen will work, but read the can! It too is supposed to be bad for rubber parts. I just spray it on a rag, then wipe the caliper down with the rag. Be carefull where you wipe. A little contact with rubber parts should not kill them, but soaking it in any cleaner is probably a bad idea.
Do this a couple times until you can tell the oil is well rinsed off and gone. A rinse with simple plain ordinary water and an air dry before priming is also a good idea.

You may even want to scuff them with a scotchbright for better primer adhesion. Just remember to rinse with water or blow them off again after scuffing.

Be careful when / if blowdrying, as the air can get under the rubber boot and lift it out of it's little lip, and you may end up blowing stuff into the piston and seal area. Keep high pressure air away from the hose fitting too, you don't want to pop the piston out, it will pinch you fingers something fearce.

The wiping idea also works well when using tire dressing (Armorall)
Spraying it all over the place gets it on rotors, which is bad. Silicone (in most tire dressings) is a lubricant, and we don't want to lubricate our rotors.

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
When I painted mine I used brake-kleen. Sprayed it on a rag and then wiped it on the caliper until I got it clean. Take your time and avoid getting it on the rubber parts. Then mask off the piston and boot and the bleeder and you're good to go.
I did use paint supposedly for calipers and drums from VHT.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I used Soap and Water and water rince. Simple Green works very well. If they're aluminum you have to bead blast them to remove the oxidation then prime with an etching primer.

Jack

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
Mine cleaned well with MEK. Then I painted with Krylon. After track time and 5000+ miles the paint is holding up well.

Rick

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,324 Posts
Brakleen or Acetone, something that doesn't leave a film. I used the Duplicolor kit from Autozone. It holds up very well on brake fluid spills, but is kind of a pain in the a$$ to apply since it's brushed on not sprayed on. The good thing is it's real easy to touch up chipped spots after the car has been on the road for a while.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
brakleen scotchbrite and VHT caliper paint lots of pretty colors and no primer needed Bob

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Any of our vendors sell the VHT Caliper paint?

·
Charter Member
96 Posts
I used Brakleen on a rag also. Used the VHT paint in red and it took many coats to fully cover (probably 5). After carefully installing and bleeding the brakes, the paint peeled easily anywhere brake fluid touched it. I was very careful during the bleeding process but I guess not careful enough. If I had to do it again I would completely dismantle them and have them powder coated. New seals are only a few bucks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts