Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it is funny but this is a serious question.

My rear-end from outside of tire to outside opposing tire is 72inches. I measured the body it is only 72inches wide at the rear end and the tires have to go inside the body. I have a backspacing problem.

My question is how wide is your car outside rubber to outside rubber in inches? What is my goal?

Thank you so much!
Rich

[ June 03, 2007, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: richcam1 ]

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Do you have low back roadster seats or street performer seats? :D

Couldn't resist...

My total width is 69.5" I just test fit my body and the clearance looked good; about 1/2 - 3/4" from outside of tire to lip of fender.

HTH,

John

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a funny question... Chica-Bow-Wow.

Hopefully with a different backspaced rim with 1-inch less per side I would be at 70inches.
Would that work? John, it sounds like it might OK?

Thanks to all,
Rich

·
OT Moderator
14,364 Posts
Well, I guess it all depends on how many Wendy's Triples you scarf down a day.

·
Not a waxer
12,066 Posts
Rich,
Since all the good wise ass (pun intended) remarks have been used I'll try an answer.
As I recall you're useing a 94/95 donor, right? That rear end is 1 1/2" wider than an 87-93 Fox. Richard can set you up with the goods (axles & caliper brackets) to get you to Fox width. The other alternative is different wheels. You'll have to decide which is your best option.
Good luck,
Jeff

·
1,595 Posts
Jeff,
Why ruin a good thread with a useful answer?
:D :D :D :D

Bill G

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Some like'em a little wide..... :D

c

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, I do have a 94 donor but I cut the axles down and I have pin drive wheels.... So my situation is no longer stock. That is why I am simply looking for the outside of the tires dimension.

Any other measurements out there? The jokes are good too.

Rich

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
59 Posts
Good rule of thumb - your rear end should be narrower than that of an attractive female's. Like mentioned above - some like 'em wider.

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Donald,

My rear was supposed to be cut to 54.5" but they made it 55.5". I picked up the axle yesterday so I am figuring all of this out before I raise a stink with axle mod guys. They blew it by one inch but I am 2+ inches off at 72". I think my backspacing on my rims is off also. If I can loose an inch off of each of the wheels with a change in back space I might be fine at 70inches?

Thanks!
Rich

PS Richard Oben is the man. I might be calling him Monday.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NAGA, I am running 3Link with the FFR Bilsteins and 17inch rims. I will mock it up today with the calipers. Thanks for the thoughts!

Vegas, do you get rubbing at 71"? and a good ride height?

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
My mrk3 with IRS and 315 tires on 17" wheels measure 71" sidewall to sidewall.I have no rubbing but I set the camber to -1.0 degrees.

[ June 03, 2007, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: mrk3cobra ]

·
Senior Charter Member
573 Posts
Richcam1,
It's obviously too late now but you should have asked, "what should the distance from hub to hub be on a/my pin drive axle assembly?" Totally pun free. Offset, backspacing, tire size and rim width are needed for a more appropriate answer.
RB

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RB, Thanks much but I know the hub to hub should be 54.5" I was shipped the wrong backspacing on the wheels. I am asking what will fit inside the body so I can make the adjustments.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts