Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the widest I can go on my MKII rear tires? I have Kumho ECSTA MX 275x40R-17 on now but can trade front and rear in as I only have 100 miles on them. It just looks like I have so much more room on the rear wheels to go wider. Here is what I have;

MKII, 3 link Bilstein coil over front and rear. Front and rear disk brakes,

17” 9.5” wide rear rims 8” rims up front Team III wheels

Front I have 245x45R-17 and love that size up front

Axle set, Fox Length, 5 lug, 4.5” BC, 28 spline Hub to fit 87-88 T-Bird Rotor

8.8 Track Loc rear with 3.55.1 rear end

Thank You Alan

·
Junior Charter Member
771 Posts
Without modification, you can get to 285s on the rear. I'm running 275x40x17 on 10" Compomotive HB rims. I could have gone to 10.5" rims, but there was no real necessity to do so (except for a deeper dish).

There's plenty of stuff here on the forum about modifying the chassis to accept 315s on MkII chassis.

HTH,

Marc

·
Official OLD GUY
3,875 Posts
Michigan Alan,

285's areas big as it gets without the "315 Mod" to a MKII. Running 315's X 17" on mine but backset is set to within a hair of dead perfect. And forget "Quad-Shocks" . . . 3 link or IRS.

Doc

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Before you assume you have a 'ton' of room remove the shock and spring assembly and move the suspension up all the way. The ton of room drops off dramatically as you compress the ride. 275s are common 285s fit and anything else will be pushing it. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,729 Posts
315 can work w/ the 315 mod.i did the cut the 2x3 and move the trunk alum inward part but left the 3/4x3/4 that runs out to the door latch alone.I am now hitting that 3/4x3/4 on a turn w/ a bump.On a straight bump w/ 2 people and full gas hit the inside of the fenders.But I have 3 link w/ 180 springs and am at about 4 1/4 ride height.Will be playing w/ bump rubbers and swaybar rate to try to help this.I live w/ the occasional hits cause no way i am going narrower or raising the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts