Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Sure. Lead. As in 12ga. shotgun slugs. Works great. Not much else works, though - my father-in-law has tried everything to keep the deer out, but they love his roses.

All the best,
Tag

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
You best bet is to scare them away. Shooting a few will do the trick. So will a dog. So will running out in the yard like a mad man in the middle of the night. WD-40 might work. If they aren’t too tame, human urine may keep them at bay. Hopefully you can get them to move to your neighbors’ yard.

There is no better method for keeping wildlife populations in control than predation. It can be mountain lions, grizzly bears, or man. If nothing is killing them, then the population will grow.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
There is no better method for keeping wildlife populations in control than predation.

Yeah, let a Grizz and a Cougar loose in your yard and all your Deer troubles are gone. :D

·
Registered
507 Posts
You can pick up deer repellant, I think it's wolf or coyote urine. Spray it around perimeter of property and it should do the trick. I think Agway or any farm supply store would have it.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
20% tobasco sauce, 40% water, 40% dishwashing detergent has always worked for me. Mix it up, spray it on the plants and bushes you do not want them to eat. However, two things you must beware of, every time it rains, you have to respray everything. Number two, if a deer is hungry enough, it will eat anything...Including Evergreens and Rhododendrons.........

Bill S.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I'd still like to meet the guy who collects the Wolf and Coyote urine. On second thought, maybe I wouldn't.

·
7,676 Posts
A friend of mine in British Columbia has had trouble with the Canadian deer. I told him to grind up some habanero peppers (also called scotch bonnets in some parts of the country), mix them into a spray and apply to the plants. He says that the peppers work great and the deer leave the treated plants alone after eating just a few leaves.

Ray

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
My parents have this problem in Texas; they wrap chicken wire around (about 1 foot larger diameter) the shrub and stake it down. Seems to work but doesn’t look that good.

I like mrmustangs recipe sounds like something to give the kids when they misbehave.
:D :D :D

·
2,332 Posts
I have heard that, believe it or not, human urine works. Just don't let the neighbors catch you "spraying" the yard!

-SGC

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Originally posted by Ray:
A friend of mine in British Columbia has had trouble with the Canadian deer. I told him to grind up some habanero peppers (also called scotch bonnets in some parts of the country), mix them into a spray and apply to the plants.
Sure, that will keep the Canadian deer away. But it will attract the Mexican deer.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You can pick up deer repellant, I think it's wolf or coyote urine. Spray it around perimeter of property and it should do the trick. I think Agway or any farm supply store would have it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts