Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
New
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

It's my understanding that you need to have your tie rod parallel to your lower control arm to minamize any bumpsteer. I have Forts bumpsteer kit and the standard mustang Flaming River rack. My question is how do you get the tie rod end parallel to the LCA? I've inspected my Flaming River rack and see no up or down adjustment.

I also understand Tri States sells Polyurethane Steering Rack busings. If I already have a bumpsteer kit will these help even more?

Many thanks gentlemen,

-Travis

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
If you need to lower the rack a bit, get these bushings from breeze.

Offset Bushings

You do tend to feel more road vibrations because they are solid, but I don't really have any bumpsteer issues and I don't have a bumpsteer kit.

Call first to make sure they fit your application. The site says MK1&2 only.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
It's my understanding that bump steer was pretty much not an issue with the MKIII. I have a power steering rack, standard bushings, and a proper alignment and after 3000 miles I can say there is no problem.
Others may chime in here but it's supposed to be fixed with the MKIII.

Skip

·
New
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My fault, I did'nt and should have clairified that I have a MKII if that makes a difference.

-T

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I dont have any noticable bumpsteer (mark II). I have the breeze offset bushings and the short Ford tie rod ends. Mark said his combo reduces the bumpsteer 85%. I dont feel any.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
4,481 Posts
This subject comes up every few weeks and has for years. Bumpsteer was so bad on my MKI that I wouldn't drive it over 80 mph. Scary stuff.
The only way you can deal with bumpsterr is measure to see if you have a prblem and make corrections. To simply state you have to move the rack up or down isn't enough. There are so many cobinations of spindles, sterring racks, etc. Again, the only way to really know is to measure it with about 2" of travel in compression and 2" of travel in rebound and correct it with moving the rack up or down to reduce or eliminate it. I did mine with a laser and would be happy to explain how I did it if you PM me. Has to be today or early tomorrow as I'm leaving town for two weeks.

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Rod,

Phone for you, line one! :D

R :D

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Did mine on the alignment rack with the shocks and springs out. Gordon Levy gave me a great explanation of what had to be done . I've got his tie rod ends (nice!).Whitby's aluminum offset rack bushings and their sai kit (woo hoo). Super stuff works great together. Bob

·
New
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I'm looking for something more specific. Can anyone elaborate more specifically on how I correct this if I have the Flaming river rack Fortes bumpsteer kit on a MKII.

Many many thanks,

-Travis

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Use aluminum offset rack bushings to move the rack high. Mount the tie rod ends (Heim joint style) on the upper surface of the spindle arm (Fox spindles) with a thin spacer to allow freedom of the joint.
You may have to grind a little on the spindle arm to get full clearance at all points of movement.
You will have almost no bump steer.

Rack bushings are not yet installed in this pic.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Here's some vid of the front suspension working ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts