Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see what kind of experience you have had selling your cobra? What works? Wait till spring?

I guess the obvious is have everything working properly and looking great with excellent photo's and video used in the marketing. The price should be resonable. Below are the methods I am trying with results. Please also give me feedback on my car listed in our classifieds 10-20-06.

ebaymotors- listed @ $26,900 buy it now, $15,100 highest bid.
FFCars- listed 10-20-06 no response.
Atlanta Journal- listed 4 weeks in paper, 2 calls
cars.com- listed 6 weeks one call
autotraders collector car- listed 4 weeks, 1 call
posted on a couple Mustang related forum websites today.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Wrote this for the FAQ quite some time ago:

"The first thing you have to do is come up with a set of "comps" on your car. This is much harder then it sounds (do not let yourself think that just because you saw one car sell for $40,000, and your car needs "just a little work" to make it look like that one, that you can get $35,000 for it), as each and every car is different from yours in one way shape or form. Next, you need to sit down and write up a very detailed description of the car, list the good and the bad, disclose everything about the car up front and you'll have less questions that need to be asked. List the interior condition, exterior condition, drivetrain, suspension, paint, rust, it's history if you know it, factory options, awards won, etc and so forth. After all of that is done, print it out and read it for continuity, if it reads choppy to you, and does not flow, then you need to rewrite it until it flows better. Next, find a well lit area and take lots of pictures as you can never have too many detail shots, (make sure to force the flash on every shot if need be) Every panel should have at least one shot to cover it, take shots of the interior, dash, seats, etc. Engine compartment shots from the front, then the side, trunk shots to show the detailing (or lack of detailing). List the full VIN, and how the car is titled. When you think you have everything listed, put yourself in the buyers position and ask any and all of the questions as if you were going to be buying the car. Again, write down the answers and incorporate anything you might have missed in to your original advertisement. When you have all of this information then, and only then should you post your "for sale" notice."

Bill S.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
IMO this is a bad time to sell or buy a roadster. I'd wait until early March when the weather is nicer. Normal car sales are slow right now let alone a "toy". Mabye some rich Alpharetta or Buckhead wife will buy this for her husband or boyfriend for Christmas

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
IMO you can not factor in the state of the economy into buying or selling these toys. This because a person who has already been eye-ing a Cobra has tunnel vision, they fall in love and thats the end of the story. It does not make sense to buy a car with your heart but thats usually the case. And since you are buying with your heart the mind just takes a vacation. So IMO economy has nothing to do with it so any time is a good time to buy or sell. You just have to either find the right car or the right buyer.

-Kouros

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
This is a bad time to sell a roadster... But, your best bet is to let everyone in your circle of friends and at work,( some who have oogled your car), that your car is officially for sale, and how much you are asking....Some of these people may even know someone who will buy it...
Word of mouth is your best salesman.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,040 Posts
I have found Auto Trader to work very well. It is a one price until it sells ad (about $80). I have sold several Cobras and almost all of them sold in September-December in Northern Ohio. This is my prime selling season. I just sold one 5 weeks ago now I have to finish it.
Jeff Hamilton

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,500 Posts
wait until early summer , sold mine at a car show, 1st person who was interested in it paid me cash. bad timing right now.

·
Junior Charter Member
136 Posts
I think you are asking to much money for what you are presenting. Take at look at this one

http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/2/t/001482.html

As a buyer, I immediately like the way this car looks, your car is missing a nice set of wheels. Also, I would detail the engine as much as possible. paint anything that looks rusted or crummy, get rid of all the grease, etc.. I would try to remove the overspray as well. Detail the car everywhere, and take picks of the underside if possible. My thoughts are the only people who are going to buy replica cobra cars are those people who already know a lot about them and have set their mind on an FFR and that is what they want. They are going to compare your car against the other cars on the market and try to get the best deal possible.

I want to buy one myself as soon as I get the chance, but right now I have no place to put for one. I have been following the cars on this forum and on ebay for about a year and there have been plenty that sold for the 30K mark but were show quality cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=160059820412&rd=1,1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250056519022&rd=1,1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220053224610&rd=1,1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290050028078&rd=1,1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230050613538&rd=1,1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=140047860004&rd=1,1

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
Its winter and a Cobra is a summer car.

Its worth an extra $3000 to $5000 in the summer.

I'd wait until summer.

Rick

·
Junior Charter Member
136 Posts
Maybe after April, May when people start getting there taxes back you can get more, but I still think that a person who has his eye on an FFR doesn't care what time of the year it is, if he has the money, and likes the car, he'll buy it. It's probably rare that someone just out of the blue decides to buy a cobra replica and waits till summer to dish out $30K at random. But in the east coast, things may be different, out west people drive the cars year round and I don't see weather being a factor out here anyway.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your advice and constructive criticism. I plan to refine my marketing flier, take better pictures, "clean up the car" and re-evaluate pricing and them try marketing again in January or February.

Ironically a couple summers ago I was cruising down Peachtree Street when this dude with a few buddys in a new Escalade rolled down the window and asked me to take him to the Fox Theatre... Turns out it was Bobby Brown who wanted to make an appearance with a little "bling" and along the way asked about buying the car for Whitney! Things sure do change with time!

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
Not to offend anyone, but it's comments like mikemustang289 that keeps me from ever selling my car on this forum. I love this forum, but the group is way too "in the know" to look at these cars for what they are: fun, fast toys that appeal to the uninitiated, untrained eye, and can fetch big bucks. Everytime a Cobra is for sale and it's listing is posted in a thread, it usually gets demerits for not having 3-link, IRS, not having "the right" wheels, not having this or that, etc. This community, like it or not, depresses the value of our cars, simply because we all have a very critical eye due to the intimate knowledge we gain when we build one.

This is not the place to sell your car, for sure.

Again, no offense, I am really not trying to condescend anyone's post, but I point out Mike's post as an example of many others that devalue our cars.

I don't believe most people who purchase a Cobra already built know what they want in terms of brand, engine size, rear end, suspension, etc. This is evident by many of the first-timer posts on this forum who purchase a Cobra, then need help troubleshooting an issue. More often than not, the proclaim themself a novice, and need very detailed assistance. We're glad to help, but it's evident most of the folks that purchase a ready-built car are simply buying it because it's a Cobra, not because it has IRS and pin-drives with an FE engine.

Flame on,

Greg

·
10,171 Posts
Well, I must be lucky.. I have put my car up for sale here twice and got cold feet and backed out both times. And I was asking a little on the high side.
The reason the forsale section is the way it is now, is that some of us got tired of seeing people posting their care for sale and then some "authority "posting and telling why said car is not worth it...

·
Junior Charter Member
31 Posts
Bill's post above gives some great advice. If you are proactive and "sell" your car you will get far more money and interest than if you simply let it "sell itself". It is really no different than selling anything else.

[ December 20, 2006, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: ReichRacing ]

·
Charter Member
183 Posts
I sold my mk1 to the second person to that looked at it, you have to get them to come see it and make sure they know what it is before they get there, I listed everything right and wrong with the car and flat out told people not to waste my time and it worked.
Call Curt Scott at Cobra country , he walked me through it a got it sold and made money.

LUNG

·
Newbie...
86 Posts
IMHO all you guys sell your cars way too cheap. You should see what pile of rubbish "dune buggy" Cobras fetch over here. It seems to me that you fellas sell them at what they cost you to build (in product) plus or minus a little bit, for some reason you don't think your labour and original ideas are worth anything!!! That is nuts! I think 30K should be a bottom of the line starting point for a completed FFR. And it should be declared totally unacceptable forum behaviour to say anything critical about an FFR that is for sale in any post...that is between the seller and the buyer.

Just my 2C.

Shane

1 - 17 of 17 Posts