Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
The serial number is on the 2 inch tube just under where the steering wheel mounts in the cockpit. Relatively small numbers/letters, maybe 1/4 inch high. Post what you find there, and we should be able to help.

Or post pictures of the frame, and we can tell you. Key points are the driver footbox, and where the steering column comes out. Also the chassis frame around the door openings and footboxes are different between versions. There are others (and many more expert than me) but this is a start.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
Most MK III bodies are black with very tight seams. MK I were blue (or at least mine was), MK IIs were grey (or at least mine was) with wider seams. On MK IIIs the steering shaft enters the driver's footbox under the master cylinder; on MK I and MK IIs it enters high on the engine side of the driver's footbox. The steering rack is mounted between the rear tab of the lower control arms and the "X" frame on the MK III and in between the lower control arm tabs on the MK I and MK II. Usually MK I and MK II had a straight panel on the engine side of the driver's footbox and the MK III came with either (or both) a straight or one with a bend in it to allow more room in the engine compartment for the 4.6 engines. Just a few quick things you can look at to try to identify. Don't reley on the frame numbers inside the 2x2 at the left rear of the cockpit, not exactly sure what those were (or who put them there!). If there is a number on the front 2x2 where the driver's left kneecap would be, it's a MK III and that is the car's ID number.

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.