Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I get the nut off the harmonic balancer off? I have a harmonic balancer puller, but you need to take the nut off first. When I turn it, the engine just turns over...
Anybody?
Thanks!

·
Charter Member
1,484 Posts
Make sure you have all the spark plugs in, that way you'll have more compression, and hopefully you can remove the dampner bolt. Or you can use a compressor and an impact gun to break it loose. Mike

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am sorry for the wrong answer.
To remove the nut that hold the harmonic balancer, you can hold the engine by using a pair of Vise-grip to hold the fly wheel.
If you have a Impact wrench will be very easy.
Do not forget when install the balancer back, do not hit it with a hammer and torque to the correct specifications

Good luck

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have the intakes off and everything so it doesn't have much compression.. worried about sucking dirt into the combustion chambers by spinning it. I need to get the timing cover off so I can clean it and paint it, make her look new.
Don't have a compressor or impact gun unfortunately :(

·
Senior Charter Member
633 Posts
Remove the flywheel and put two of the flywheel bolts back into the crank on opposite sides of the pilot bearing recess. Find a steel rod, about 1/2" square in cross section and place it across the end of the crank where the pilot bearing is located letting it rest between the two flywheed cap screws for leverage. Then, have a friend apply torque to the harmonic balancer bolt. Use a torque wrench or a breaker bar and apply steadily increasing pressure until the bolt loosens.

·
Land Shark!
4,668 Posts
Put the car in gear with the E-brake on - that should keep the motor from turning over (assuming the motor/trans is in the car?). A breaker bar with a pipe should be able to break it loose.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
use a gasket scraper or long srewdriver to wedge into one of the slits on the balancer. Use the scraper to apply pressure in the opposite way that you are turning the bolt. ALso, when you get the bolt and washer off you will need to take the washer off and then put the bolt back in the crank. This will give the puller something to press against besides the crank threads.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Assuming the heads are on, remove a spark plug and shove some CLEAN soft rope in through the hole. 2 to 3 feet of 1/2" diameter rope works perfectly. Obviously, leave a bit hanging out the plug hole so you can pull it back out. The rope will keep the piston from going over TDC. Try to make sure the cylinder is on its compression stroke so neither of the valves is open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts