Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have the problem....

Car goes over a bump and there is a quick grinding noise and you can really feel it if your hand is on the shifter lever. I have altrady checked for tire/body contact.

Heres what I have:

Stock MKII
8.8 rear
T5 tranny
Carrera shocks with overiders
4 link
upper links were are in the middle mounting holes.

Thanks

Dennis

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Dennis,
I don't know if this is your problem, but I had some contact between the driveshaft and the E-Brake hardware. I made a little guide for the cables and fixed it.
Carl

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks carl, But think it,s more that.

Thnks

Dennis

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Sounds like you have a drive shaft binding problem.
What is the pinion angle set at now?
Do you have adjustable upper control arms so angle can be changed there?
Ideally you want 1-2* down if measured at the rear.

·
BLUE.II
2,058 Posts
Driveshaft bind is caused when the universal joint bottoms itself in the clearance cavities (tough to explain).

I did 2 things to eliminate it, after you verify the pinion angle:

1) Raised the rear of the tranny (at the mount) 1/2 inch using washers.

2) Took a look at the universal joint and spotted where the bearing housings were hitting. I then took a stone wheel on a dremel and made a little more clearance. (I figure that the castings weren't perfect)

There should be a lot of help if you do a search on driveshaft bind.

Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
A stock MKII with a T5 shouldn't have bad bind. What's your ride height set at? Try raising it 1/2" or so.

The spacer is mandatory with a Tremec, however, you can try it. I'd rather see you use one solid spacer that's the full size of the perch.
Washers concentrate the load in a small area around each bolt, plus a "stack" of washers is subject to corrosion between the washers. Much better to have one solid chunk.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have had this problem as well 4 1/2" ride hieght is min. from the bottom of the round frame tube to the ground. Adjust this first then move on to the other things suggested.
Gregg

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,745 Posts
SInce it's grinding as the axle comes up you have two options 1- raise the trans by raising the whole car (probably not what you want to do) 2- raise the trans itself. While I agree w/ Donald that washers are not the best solution, they are a cheap easy experiment.You may also need longer bolts depending how much you need to raise the trans.After you get the height right decide if you want to get a solid spacer or not.

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
my front u-joint bearing cups were hitting on the inside of the yoke, I talked to the driveshaft man, he said it would be okay to grind some clearence in this area, and it shouldn't effect the balance since it's so short anyway, and I also adjusted the rear coilovers up 1 turn, haven't had it happen since, good luck.
chas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.