Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

INTAKE: Edelbrock 7121 (Summit Racing p/n EDL-7121)

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL%2D7121&N=0&autoview=sku

CARB: Holley Street Avenger 570cfm (Summit Racing p/n HLY-0-81570 )

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HLY%2D0%2D81570&N=700+115&autoview=sku

CAM: Competition Cams Xtreme Energy (Summit Racing p/n CCA-31-246-3)

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D31%2D246%2D3&autoview=sku

306ci
stock crank, stock compression
stock heads
all internal engine hardware top-of-the-line
hooker headers, ceramic
sidepipes, caramic
i now have a Mallory igniton system
power steering

is there a way to figure it out, or at least estimate it? i tried to find specs on the www.compcams.com website, but i could not make heads or tails of their info.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
There's a program available called "Desktop Dyno"
You plug in your engine specs, and it will give you an estimate of your power. Some guys swear by it. I personally think it can sometimes be a little optimistic.
John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
Under the 'General Factory Five Topics' there is a Small block Ford forum. Gordon Levy has been making guestimates for people.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
2 ways to do it on paper, Eddie.

Method 1 - the most commonly used method:

Grab a piece of paper and a pen; Throw back a few cold ones; write a number down that makes you feel good add 20% to this number and then start telling your buddies.

Method 2 - the accurate one:

Go see someone with a GOOD dyno like a Dynapack; Get the car dynoed and have them print the results out for you on paper; Feel good that you know your car's actual HP & torque and marvel how much faster it is than your friend's cars that "apparently" have a bazillion HP more...

With dyno time SO cheap these days, why even waste time playing with numbers?

- SB

·
8,356 Posts
Anyone know of a good dyno shop in the Northbay area? 302 EFI.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,075 Posts
Eddie,

Ask Gorden Levy--his guess was only 2hp off my dyno #s. I wanted "real #s" for my motor--not "bench #s".

HTH
Butch

P S
3 Dyno pulls up here= $75.00

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
Dale, apexmotorsports.com they are in Santa Clara.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
If you are into "bragging rights" take the rear wheel HP numbers you got, and add 12% for a solid axle, 15% for an IRS. This will give you a rough approxmation of your flywheel HP. It's good for comparing what you have against the various crate engines, that are rated at flywheel HP.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie:
is there a way to figure it out, or at least estimate it?
No offence but, who cares? :confused:

Power estimates are just numbers on paper. Ever won a race with a piece of paper?

Any dyno is simply a tuning tool. It can assist you in determining if the collection of components that make up your car/engine are functioning correctly and help troubleshoot those that are not.

The actual results are just ink on paper.

Sean

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
Desktop Dyno is pretty crude - Engine Anlyzer Pro is much better, but still an estimate. Asking Gordon will probably be just as close with less work on your part. With stock heads and that carb, I'd guess 250 - 260hp or so.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Sean:
I agree but you sometimes need a baseline first to see if improvements are being made. The "butt-dyno" is great but sometimes, having a quantitative number is required to see if your home-done port-n-polish helped or hurt your motor.

On that note, I'm due to see Apex Motosports on Wednesday morning but now they're saying RAIN!!!!! :( :( :(

I wanted to get a baseline number. I'm not sure what future mods I may make but I want the dyno sheet for my starting point. I think Eddie may be thinking along the same lines. I'm having them run the A/F on both pipes, even though my carb was already tuned with an IR device on both pipes back in December.

I'll report back if anyone cares.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Originally posted by 289FIA_Cobra:
Sean:
I agree but you sometimes need a baseline first to see if improvements are being made. The "butt-dyno" is great but sometimes, having a quantitative number is required to see if your home-done port-n-polish helped or hurt your motor.

I agree. I think this is what dynos are for. Once you have have a baseline number with your car functioning correctly, the dyno is a powerful tool measuring the effect of changes.

This is using the dyno as a means to an end, not an end in itself.

Sean

P.S. I care! ;)

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Originally posted by canuck1:
No offence but, who cares? :confused:

Power estimates are just numbers on paper. Ever won a race with a piece of paper?

Any dyno is simply a tuning tool...

...The actual results are just ink on paper.

Sean
Is it safe to say were talking Chassis dynos here?

I disagree that a chassis dyno is just a tuning tool. The numbers that are printed out on the paper will accurately foretell how your car will perform on certain performance tests such as acceleration etc. Obviously the dyno doesn't test how good of a driver you are, or if your car is going to hook up off the line or coming out of turn three, but to say it is JUST a tuning tool, I disagree.

I've yet to see two cars of similar weight and traction ability dyno similar numbers and then have drastically different E.T and Trap speeds at the drag strip. -This is especially true if the same type of chassis dyno was used

I do agree that how much power your Cobra has doesn't need to be important, but for many people, knowing how much power your engine has is just plain interesting and fun.

With that said, I think Eddie's 306 would lay down about 225-235 at the wheels. With a good head swap he would see a huge difference both on paper and in actual acceleration. 225-235 at the wheels is about 260-270 engine HP.

-dan

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
My desktop dyno program shows it peaking at 5500rpm with 326 flywheel hp. Top TQ is 344 at 4500rpm.

This of course probably isn't accurate since i dont know the flow numbers on the stock heads, but it will at least give you a ballpark figure.
My guess is that you probably have somewhere around 240rwhp

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,075 Posts
Dan,
I agree with your comments in full.
I did a "before" dyno and "after" dyno to see what changes (if any) were made. I'm happy with the outcome.(+hp/+tq.)
At the drag strip, Its nice to tell them exactly how much(little) hp they got beat by.
Than, when I do get beaten, I can tell them they should win 'cause I only have this much hp!
Dynos are good---better than just guessing ;)

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Originally posted by FordManDan:
Is it safe to say were talking Chassis dynos here?

I disagree that a chassis dyno is just a tuning tool. The numbers that are printed out on the paper will accurately foretell how your car will perform on certain performance tests such as acceleration etc. Obviously the dyno doesn't test how good of a driver you are, or if your car is going to hook up off the line or coming out of turn three, but to say it is JUST a tuning tool, I disagree.

I've yet to see two cars of similar weight and traction ability dyno similar numbers and then have drastically different E.T and Trap speeds at the drag strip. -This is especially true if the same type of chassis dyno was used

I do agree that how much power your Cobra has doesn't need to be important, but for many people, knowing how much power your engine has is just plain interesting and fun.

With that said, I think Eddie's 306 would lay down about 225-235 at the wheels. With a good head swap he would see a huge difference both on paper and in actual acceleration. 225-235 at the wheels is about 260-270 engine HP.

-dan
Perhaps I was too narrow in my description of the dyno as strictly a tuning tool.

The point I was trying to make is that it is a TOOL, not a goal.

Many people just have to have that official looking computer printout that indicates they have gobs more power than anyone would ever need. Interesting and fun? I guess if that's what floats your boat?

I'm not trying to provoke anyone. But we have all had to endure the bench racing phenomenon who is sure he's making 350 rwhp from his 4 cyl. mildly modded Tercel because he's added up the total of the manufacturer's claims from the boxes of every bolt-on part he has added. :rolleyes:

Sean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts